Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

where to stay for 4 night stay in Provence

Search

where to stay for 4 night stay in Provence

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2017, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read the same about Gordes with regard to tourism. But that's fne, it looks to be a beautiful area and location for 4 nights. I've checked out a few restaurants that appear to be nice without being very expensive. I also considered St Remy but the accommodations that I would choose were already booked. Can you really go wrong for a few days in Provence??
Old Jun 5th, 2017, 07:17 PM

We stayed on the outskirts of St. Remy at Le Mas des Carassins and were very happy there. If it is warm enough, you can dine outside in their garden. Their meals were delicious.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 03:48 PM
jft
Original Poster

In the end I did book Domaine de Fontenille in Lauris with their 4 nights for the price of 3 special. Looks like there are so many good options in the area! Le Mas Perreal was booked as was hotel L'hermitage ( or closed for vacation). Le Mas des Carassins looked great too.
My trip will be a flight to Paris from Toronto- then train to Avignon- rental car and drive to Lauris. The location looks good for day trips to lots of regions. I will bear in mind that Sunday/Monday are quiet days and plan to see perhaps Les Baux or Pont du Gard or a market on those days or just relax for one of them.....We will take the train to Paris after 4 nights with a 5 night stay at the Brittanique Hotel. My husband has a conference at the Palais du Congres.We have been to Paris before but not to the Provence area. We have been to Nice.
We loved a short trip to Normandy/Brittany last fall and loved a few days in a tiny place called La Loie near Dole where my cousin showed us around in the Jura hills region in Burgundy a few years before.
Thanks
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 04:46 PM

Bookmarking.
Old Jun 10th, 2017, 07:27 PM
jft
Original Poster

Both my husband and I like to cook. I came across a cooking school run by Jean Marc Villard in Maubec en Luberon that offers day classes that look great although expensive. www.cuisinedechef.com. Not far from where we are staying....I think we will splurge and book it.
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 04:35 AM
jft
Original Poster

It's been awhile since I posted. Domaine de Fontenille was a gem of a hotel in a very good location if you have a car. Beautifully renovated old vineyard chateau with 17 rooms, fabulous service, fabulous food and the hotel website had a great special in October 4 nights for the price of 3 with breakfast...Michelin 1 star restaurant that was quite reasonable and quite casual.
Jean Marc Villard's cooking class was great- he and his wife were incredibly hospitable. We were four in the group. A nice splurge and a great way to spend a good portion of the day
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 06:57 AM

Stayed at Hotel de l'image in St. Remy.

We loved St. Remy. Found a small little bakery that made fresh quiche every morning. Found a great wine shop that we befriended the Norwegian owner. He liked my wife and I and pulled out some private stock for only us at his tastings. Unfortunately, I understand it is no longer there.

We thought St. Remy was perfect and great for exploring the entire area.

We drove to Gordes and I felt like I missed something, because it didn't do anything for my wife or I.

We hit many other towns in the area thanks to Stu Dudley. We really enjoyed the Sunday market at Isle de la Sorque. We still talk about the paella we had at that market bought off a street vender who kept telling us it would be ready in 10 minutes. Each time we went back, it was another 10 minutes. Finally, it was ready and she loved the fact that we kept coming back and piled as much paella as she could into our bowls.

Good luck with your decision!
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 01:10 PM

We love Uzès when we are in that region-although it is really Langedoc, not Provence.

But we love the market there and find more in that area that we love to do. Also, I don't know if someone else mentioned it but there are 2 train stations in Avignon and when renting a car it is generally easier to rent it from the Avignon TGV station since it is basically just outside the city and set up with tons of rental cars-so it is much easier than picking off and dropping at the city center.
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 01:41 AM
jft
Original Poster

My post was after the trip took place.i guess should have done a separate trip report.