Portland in 4 days in june

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2018, 08:46 AM
LCP
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portland in 4 days in june

Greetings!
My husband, 20 year old son and I are spending 4 days in Portland, first week of June.
We have never been. Love seeing cities, going hiking (moderate for me). National parks, oppotunities to see wildlife, Museums, sports
Suggestions? What is “not to miss” for such a short trip? We will have a car, and having Just spent 6 days in BC and Seattle.

thank you!

Lisa
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 10:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Do I understand that you have your own car and not a rental car? Do you want to see more of the coast in Oregon or will you have seen enough by the time you get to Portland? On the way from Seattle to Portland you might want to visit either Mt. Rainier or Mt. St. Helens. If you prefer not to take a rental car back to Seattle, you could take Amtrak from Seattle to Portland and then rent a car in downtown Portland for any trips outside the city. The TriMet system in Portland is good for getting you to anyplace you want to go in the city and surrounding areas.
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 05:27 PM
LCP
Original Poster

Hi, we are renting a car in Vancouver BC and driving to Portland. We would love to see the coast and the city.
suggestions on what area is best to stay?

thanks
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 05:52 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
In early June you're likely as not to encounter cloudy weather on the coast, so I'd make a "real time" determination on that front.

However it's absolutely prime time for all the waterfalls in the Columbia River Gorge just east of the city. Although there was a lot of damage last year caused by fires in the gorge, the waterfalls haven't been horribly impacted, and the scenery is still stunning. In June they'll be at peak flows due to melting mountain snows, and the Hood River Valley, around an hour east of Portland, will be terrific with its orchards and vineyards in spring bloom, with Mount Hood looming over everything.

You said you enjoy museums, so here ya go. An hour or so east of Hood River (use the Washington side of the river for better views) is the wonderful Maryhill Museum. This is a funky and eclectic little place in a superb setting atop the cliffs overlooking the river. There are collections of Rodin, fabulous Native American art and artifacts, some decent paintings, and the wonderful Théatre de la Mode - a collection of 1/3rd scale postwar French fashion mannequins designed to restore the industry after WW2. Wonderful. Then just down the road is a replica of Stonehenge, built as a WW1 war memorial (built in the belief that the real Stonehenge was a place of human sacrifice, which it wasn't.)

If time allows, a two-day drive to and through the Gorge - with an overnight in Hood River so you could also visit Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood (where they'll still be skiing) would be terrific.

You could also take a different (and in my mind way more enjoyable) route between Seattle and Portland, like this:

(Click on the map for the full version.)

This would take you over the Cascades from Seattle on I-90, then to Yakima on I-82, then south through the Yakama reservation and terrific "old west" country to the Columbia at Maryhill. See Stonehenge and the Museum, then continue to Hood River for the night. Visit Mt. Hood the next morning (Timberline is a beautiful hour's drive up the valley from Hood River) then end with a drive through the Gorge along the Historic Columbia River Highway in the afternoon. This would free up most of a day, one that you could spend - if you want - out on the coast. This route from Seattle to Portland is a big favorite with many residents of our region.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Jan 16th, 2018 at 05:57 AM.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 06:38 AM

On your drive down from Seattle, get an early start and make a stop at Mt St Helens, IF it is a clear day. Otherwise you won't see anything. If it is clear though, get off I-5 at exit 49 and take the road up to Johnston Ridge Observatory where the road dead ends. There are several visitors centers along the way that are good, but JRO is the biggie. There is a short film there, about 10 minutes, that is a must see! Also, you can do some hiking around there.

One thing to keep in mind with Portland is your timing coincides with the Rose Festival. So book hotels now as rates will rise and hotels fill up. The good news is there is a lot to do during this time!

Fun things to do in Portland include the Japanese and Chinese Gardens, hiking in Forest Park (it is right in town, in the NW area), wander NW 21/23rd streets for unique shops and great restaurants, and a must IMO, is the Saturday Market. This is actually open on both Saturdays and Sundays and has a great mix of vendors. Always a hit! OMSI is really nice too, and you can tour a decommissioned submarine.

The Columbia River Gorge is a great place to visit and starts about 30 minutes outside of Portland. Lots of great hiking and scenic areas, BUT there was a massive wildfire there this past summer that did a number on the trails on the OR side. Many are closed and will be into the summer, so you will need to check closer to your dates and see which ones are open. We do a lot of hiking in this area, so if you want suggestions for those, just let me know and I will be happy to help

Anyway, coming from Portland, take I-84 east and get off at exit 22 for Corbett. Go up the hill and at the stop take a left onto the old scenic highway. From there, stop at Portland Woman's Forum (odd name, great views), Crown Point Vista House, and Multnomah Falls. Continue on and stop as you feel at any number of great places along the way to Hood River. From there you could do a loop and head towards Mt Hood and then back to Portland, or you could continue on 84 out to The Dalles and then Biggs Junction. At BJ cross into WA on highway 14 and see Stonehedge and Maryhill Museum (and the winery if that interests you), then Horsethief Butte, Columbia Hills State Park (check out the petroglyphs here), and then on to Beacon Rock before crossing back into OR. Either of these would be a full day.

The coast is also a great day trip. You could go to Newport with the aquarium and Hatfield Marine Science Center, the lighthouses, Nye Beach, etc. Or you could do the north coast around Cannon Beach and Seaside. Portland to CB is only about 90 minutes so a really easy day trip, and you can do a loop heading out 26 and coming back 6/26. Haystack Rock and Ecola State Park in Cannon Beach are both great places to check out, and you can do some hiking in ESP. The town is chuck full of shops and good restaurants.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 09:30 AM

Just so you're aware, June 9 is the Rose Festival Parade, and the week leading up to it is pretty busy around town. Lodging costs, which are already high, will be even higher, so if you've not yet made reservations, don't wait too long.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 10:13 AM

With your limited time, Washington Park is a great place to spend time. Within the park is The Japanese Gardens, The Rose Test Garden, the zoo and much more. You can take public transportation to the park and then there is a shuttle within the park that will take you to various drop of points or you can walk. I spent a whole day there. Although I don't usually do this, I did take the Hop On Hop Off tour. There is so much to see within the city that this tour gave a nice overview of what was available and where. The Portland Aerial Tram is fun for an after dinner event. Beautiful view of the city. The Saturday market was also fun.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites at 3rd and Pine. Just beautiful inside. It is in a nice location and accessible to all means of transportation.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 06:31 PM
LCP
Original Poster

Thank you for these wonderful suggestions! I will get on hotels right away!
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 11:10 PM

TTT as we will be there next month, and I'm looking for stuff to do in town during the day while my wife is taking a class at one of the art glass studios.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 06:50 AM

For a solo activity in Portland, visit the Powell's World of Books (10th & Burnside). Visit the zoo and arboretum and maybe the World Forestry Center. Within 2 hours drive is the spot where Dave Ulmer hid the world's first geocache on May 3, 2000. There are now over 3 million hidden worldwide.
You should go together to see Multnomah Falls and several other waterfalls east of Portland. There are 2 good skiing area on Mt. Hood. There is not as much snow on Mt. Hood as last year but it is skiiable .
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 08:10 AM

I have enjoyed the Epicurian Walking Tour of Portland. You see some of the city, hear some history and try some local foods and beverages at a variety of businesses. I enjoyed the tour very much.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 10:28 AM

For the OP:

I suspect your 20-something might enjoy staying in the McMenamins properties. These are rehabbed historic structures, often with their own brewpub, movie theatre etc. They are eclectic. Kennedy School is considered the best overnight choice. The only one to avoid is the Crystal as it is generally geared toward concertgoers nextdoor.

Or try McMenamins Edgefield in Troutdale as a way to kick off a day trip (or longer) to the Gorge. Edgefield was once the county poor farm. Huge rambling brick structure with murals everywhere.

Either way--if you don't want to attend the parade, don't stay right downtown or inner East side the night of the 8th--especially if you want to drive your car anywhere that morning. Inn at Northrup Station would be far enough away for example.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 11:48 AM

For a lunch in Portland, there is a small lunch stand in Powell's and an even better place about 3 blocks south. It is Ken & Zukes Jewish Deli.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 12:43 PM

Nukesafe--I saw from your profile you enjoy woodworking. You might consider visiting the workshop of The Joinery. Well known in town for their craftsmanship. I love their work, but can't afford it. The main shop is at the Woodstock branch and you will need to call ahead for an appointment. If you don't have a car, I would recommend the #19 bus, be sure to take it on 5th Avenue Transit Mall, going toward Woodstock (and not the 6th Avenue going toward Glisan). The 19 is a scenic route, down Milwaukie Avenue (nice shops and small restaurants), past Reed College and out to Woodstock. There are also some up and coming cafes on Woodstock, plus old faithfuls like the Delta and Otto's.

https://www.thejoinery.com/contact
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 06:07 PM

Two other places that I enjoyed for a few hours each was the Pittock Mansion and The Grotto. The Grotto is religious based but beautiful. Great view of the mountains from the top level. There is a bus stop right out front.

One of my tours was a bit quirky. I found a Fountain Tour online. It was self directed. There are many fountains in Portland. It also allowed me to wonder and take in the beautiful architecture.
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 03:13 AM
LCP
Original Poster

Thank you! We decided on 3 nights in Portland and will see the city’s d take day trips east. We also would like to spend 2 nights on the coast (before Portland. Coming from Seattle). Love to visit Ecola State Park. Suggestions on where to stay?

lisa
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 05:16 AM

LCP--Ecola State Park is wonderful! That is in Cannon Beach, which is a great place to stay. That has been my favorite area ever since I was a little kid Take a look at the Surfsand Resort. That has been a family favorite of ours for decades. It is also the only resort on the OR coast that has seasonal cabana service (complimentary too!) including Adirondack chairs and umbrellas, volleyball net, beach toys, beach towels, etc. The rooms are very nice and there is a good restaurant on site. It is a short walk to both Haystack Rock as well as downtown. Near that is the Blue Gull Inn, which has a 2 bedroom cottage that would work well for you. It is an old motel that has been redone and is quite nice, but is not oceanfront. It sits just a few houses from the water though, so less than a 5 minute walk. Schooner's Cove is oceanfront and right in downtown. We have stayed at all of these, but of course there are many other options as well. Even with that, Surfsand would be my first choice, FWIW. Also, a fun thing to do is to rent the recumbent style beach bikes and ride those at low tide. If you need other suggestions for in town, just let me know
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 07:33 AM

Good reco's from mms. If those are fully booked or too expensive, there are some cheaper places in Seaside. I like Seaside for the "Prom". Just off the Prom in the south end is the spot where members of the "Corps of Discovery" boiled seawater to make salt to preserve meat for their long journey back to Missouri.
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 08:39 AM

Thank you all for the neat suggestions on things to see and do in Portland itself during the week we will be there; particularly from 5Alive and Gardendiva. I have spent time on other trips wandering this most fascinating town alone while DW is busy doing her art glass thing, and thought I had about run out of new things. Of course, just attempting to have something different at each of the food trucks in the city could take a month, and leave me looking like a walking goiter.
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 05:26 PM
LCP
Original Poster

Thank you thank you! Booking my hotels now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -