Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best Pastrami/Corned Beef in Manhattan ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2018, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be visiting New York City, from San Francisco, early in February. It's been about 15 years, since my last visit.

I used to make a mad dash to the Carnegie Deli for their fabulous sandwiches, and, wonderful ambiance of the long-table, "family style," seating. Alas, it's now closed.

I've appealed to the Google Gods for lists of the best/most popular Deli, now. The 2nd Avenue Deli, and Katz's Deli, seem to appear in the changeable position of #1, and #2. "The 2nd Avenue Deli," is fairly close to my hotel, but I'd gladly go elsewhere. (I would prefer to keep it in Manhattan, only because I'm not very familiar with the other boroughs, and I'll be with a small group that's travelling for a birthday celebration ... I don't know, yet, what days/hours will be committed to group plans.)

Thanks

Last edited by CatyL; Jan 16th, 2018 at 01:42 PM. Reason: omitted a word
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 04:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Your choice. Both are far better than the Carnegie ever was.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 06:02 PM
dac

We just went to the 2nd Ave. Deli at 33rd and Lexington twice in Sept. We really enjoyed it, and we are native New Yorkers so we know good deli.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 06:18 PM

Native NY'er. I prefer 2nd Ave Deli and there side dishes are far superior to the other delis. Katz's with all its publicity has become a zoo and I think it has gone a step down. We live very close and it is always mobbed. A friend who has picture on the wall, doesn't go as often.

Carnegie and Stage were never in the category of 2nd Ave and Katz's, just more convenient for visitors.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 08:23 PM

There used to be a real debate, but I think the debate is over. 2nd ave Deli is the one and since it is near your hotel, I think the choice is easy. As others have mentioned, Katz' has gone down a peg or two. It is a shame what has happened to the Kosher Deli scene in NYC where there were once hundreds of them.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 08:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Some years ago I posted a question here about Star's Deli, which is now gone. One poster said they cried real tears upon learning it had gone out of business. Guess that's what a good deli can do. I think there is a CVS there now.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 12:29 AM

I have been to both Katz' and 2nd Avenue Deli (@ their original location & their present one) and altho some
might describe it as a zoo, I have taken out-of-towners there. Afterwards, we wander up to Yonah Schimmels
Knish, Russ & Daughters and others on Houston Street. They all love the feel of New York
from seeing/eating these establishments.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 05:17 AM

I'll provide a contrary opinion. I like Second Avenue Deli for corned beef, but for pastrami, I don't think you can beat Pastrami Queen (77th Street/Lexington, just north of the intersection on the east side of the street). The only downside is that it's very small and has very few tables.

The other thing about Katz, despite being overrun with tourists, is that they carve their meat by hand, and it's thick. That's not to everyone's taste. But I think they have the superior regular brisket and tongue if you like either of those.

A step down (equivalent to Stage and Carnegie Deli) is Sarge's, which is on 3rd Avenue between 36th and 37th Streets (west side of the street). It's significantly cheaper (as in half the price) than Second Avenue Deli, but not quite as good.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 06:24 AM

The best knishes in Manhattan are at Zabar's.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

I thank you, all, for the responses. I'm particularly taken with comments that either choice is looked upon a superior to Carnegie ... which I began to patronize, on the advice of a native NY'er with whom I worked.

I'm going to see if I can, possibly, get to both.

Thanks, again
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 07:01 AM

I actually liked the corned beef at Carnegie Deli, but it wasn't in the same league as Katz' and 2nd Avenue Deli. FWIW, my DH went to the relatively new UES outpost of 2nd Avenue Deli for breakfast (salami and eggs) and said it was terrible.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 01:40 PM

No real opinion on corned beef sandwiches, but the best pastrami sandwich bar none I’ve had is at Katz’s. Second Avenue Deli is a reasonable second, and is arguably the best overall deli experience in town. But for me, there’s no contest on pastrami sandwiches — in fact, I’ll go so far as to say it’s the best sandwich of any kind I’ve ever had anywhere.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 03:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
When I was a kid, we used to go to Katz’s all the time, it was the neighborhood place to go. Later, when my father lived on 7th Avenue and 54th Street, we went to the Carnegie all the time. The Stage was not in the same league as the Carnegie. I am mourning the loss of the Carnegie Delicatessen, it was one of my touchstones in New York. And Katz’s was indeed a zoo the one time I have visited in recent memory.

I guess it is time for me to branch out and try some of the other choices mentioned here. But I don’t adapt well to change.