Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Self Drive Boats in France- Where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2018, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ourselves and two other couples want to do a self drive boat trip in France. One couple has been on the Canal du Midi for a two week stint, but we would prefer another region. None of us are really familiar with the areas where there are boat cruises, namely Charente, Brittany, Lot Valley, Loire Valley, Alsace and Burgundy. Can anyone chime in on which area would give us charming small towns and beautiful scenery, and oriented towards 40-60 somethings rather than families? Our trip would be in early September. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 10:07 AM

We took a one-way self-drive boat trip from St. Florentin to Monbard. But the company we used no longer exists, so I do not know if the itinerary which depends on the home port location is still available. I chose it because it offers a good selection of tourist attractions within walking distance of the canal de Bourgogne.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...7622755059630/ and subsequent pictures
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 11:06 AM

Many boats come with bicycles on them for exploring regions near docks. I think every section of France you mention has what you are looking for. Loire Valley - the classical chateau-filled part between Blois, Tours and Saumer is not navigable by any boats,
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 11:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks both lovely photos Michael.
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

We have booked a cruise on the Lot River, it looks beautiful and relaxing. If there is any interest I will report back when we return. Trip won't be until September, though.
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 07:59 AM

I have taken self- driving barges on Canal Nivernais in Burgundy and Canal du Rhonda a Sete near Camargue, both areas are lovely with interesting small tandem villages; the differences are one with 62 locks, the other with only one ( it gets a bit tiring with plus sea views and wildlife in

in September, the weather shall be nice on both canals. If it’s too late, the water might be choppy on Canal Sete, as the wind blowing right from the sea, make it a bit harder to park the boat.
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Judy. Did you rent bicycles and if so, did you find that useful? We’ve booked our boat on the Lot River, so just settling on details now. Fingers crossed for good weather, although it’s also beautiful and green in the drizzle.
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 01:21 AM

Yes, I have rented bikes each time, lots of fun riding around countryside, plus big help for getting to villages for breakfast pastry.