Search

Honeymoon advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2018, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon advice

My future wife and I take honeymoon in Aug 2018. We fly into Reno and get rental car. Our destination is lake Tahoe. We have 14-18 days honeymoon. We are cowboy/cowgirl and love the 'ol wild west. We will visit Virginia city, and Carson city. Then make our way east southeastern Colorado (south of i-70, east of i-25), to explore possibly moving to the area of Colorado. But we like advice on good places to visit between takoe and Colorado. Bryce canyon, rodeo, is all we found along the way. We spend 3 days in Tahoe before we set out. Any advice? Btw planned to take state route 50 to 70 throught pueblos. But we drive up to 50 miles north or south of our planned route.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Btw, we will fly outta Denver to return home.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 08:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors tex39. You will want to re-post on the United States board and tag your new thread for California, Nevada, Arizona, and Colorado. Don't expect too much form Carson City - the State Capitol and a couple of museums. Virginia City is good for several hours, and Tahoe can fill the rest of your time.
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 07:41 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome tex39. Follow janisj's advice on posting in the US forum. My best advice would be to rent in downtown Reno and see what you want to see in Nevada, California and Arizona (Grand Canyon?). Return the car in Reno and take the Amtrak California Zephyr all the way to Denver. The best daytime scenery on any Amtrak route IMO is Ruby Canyon and the Glenwood Canyon east of Glenwood Springs. Rent a car in downtown Denver for the eastern Colorado search.
After you return the Denver car, you can take the new light rail out to the Denver airport for the flight home.
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 10:52 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
If you make it to Colorado Springs, you might want to check out the Rodeo Hall of Fame.
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 02:59 PM

If you do decide to go through southern Utah and stop at Zion, you might want to also look at Kanab, where there is a small museum with western movie memorabilia. Several movies were filmed nearby and also in Monument Valley, a Navajo park.
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 04:08 AM

Reno and Carson City aren’t very large. One day for each is plenty enough unless you want to spend a lot of time gambling. The former has an excellent auto museum which can take about half a day, though its small art museum and local history museum are short visits. Carson City has a good and sizable state history museum and one can do a stroll to see the older style houses, but the state capitol building is one of the least impressive I’ve seen and only worth a brief visit; there’s also a railroad museum, which I didn’t get to see.
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to those with great ideas, advice, suggestions. Keep it coming. Will not explore Reno. We been to grand canyon and Navajo park. Yea we traval through southern Utah. Kaman, sounds interesting, and will look it up. We will travel east of Colorado springs. We wanna stay away from the rookies and try to have yr around weather and warm climates. We like open range and grass. But anyways, we also look into good ranches we may cross. Horseback riding, cattle drive, etc is what we love and do. We also looking into schedule of any native places that may have the pow wow dance/festival since we like native collectables/crafts.
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 07:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) had a brother who lived in Carson City. His house has a historic sign in front of it. I never would have known this except for finding the geocache there.
In Eastern Colorado, there is a museum in Cheyenne Wells to check out. The next town to the east is Arapahoe. Farther north you will find Kit Carson County.
The grasslands and open range also extend into western Kansas.
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 10:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
East of Colorado Springs, open range and grass immediately brings to mind:

Bent's Old Fort:
https://www.nps.gov/beol/index.htm

Comanche Grasslands and Picketwire Canyon
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/psic...a/?recid=77620

and the Koshare Indian Museum in La Junta. The website is pretty slim pickin's, but the museum is excellent:
Koshare Indian Museum :: Home
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 06:45 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
>

I assume that statement refers to potential places to live? If so, I assume you know the Colorado flat lands are known for high wind and very hot summers? Also plenty of devastating hail and the occasional tornado and flood.

Now that I think about it, the CO plains are similar to parts of Texas...but with distant mountains and without the green and humidity