Tetons and Yellowstone

Search

Tetons and Yellowstone

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2018, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tetons and Yellowstone

We are staying in Teton Village for a week in late June. We are a family of four with two teenage boys. Looking for suggestions on 'must do' outdoor activities and great places to eat in the area. It is our first trip to the area. Also, have been reading mixed reviews about a day trip driving to Yellowstone. Is it a reasonable drive (time) to get to the lower loop in Yellowstone/Old Faithful and return home the same day to Teton Village? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 01:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You have somehow posted on the Technical assistance board. You need to post on the US board
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 06:04 PM

Looks like your post has been moved to US board.

I would take at least a day to visit Yellowstone, In fact I would probably want to spend at least half of the week in Yellowstone.
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Is it possible to do driving day trips or too far of a distance to the north part of the park plus traffic?
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 10:45 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
By north part you mean Tower Junction / Lamar Valley / Mammoth? It's too far.

If you are set on doing a day trip your best bet is up and back Norris - Old Faithful - maybe Prismatic Spring. Leave very early.
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 08:51 PM

You can totally do a day trip to Yellowstone from Jackson. I have done it. You can get to Old Faithful and up to the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone and back in a day. Leave early, don't linger in any shops and it can be done. Not sure how much fun that would be for your kids--see what they think. I did the trip with 2 other adults who had never seen yellowstone and just wanted that brief over view.

Here is my trip report on Jackson with kids: Jackson Hole with Kids Trip Report

Check out the Teton Science School to see if they have anything interesting going on when you are there.
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 02:32 AM

If you have a week, I’d spend four days in Yellowstone:

-there’s a nice hike at Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone that goes past or has views of Upper and Lower Falls, the Canyon, mud pots, and meadows.

-spend at least a day exploring the geyser fields: Upper Basin, Lower Basin, Midway, Biscuit, Norris, Fountain Paint Pots. Lots of geysers and pools. There’s an especially nice walk between Biscuit Basin and Old Faithful.

-you can also see Yellowstone Lake and the nearby Mud Volcano area.

-haven’t seen Mammoth Hot Springs, but that’s another option.

For Grand Teton, would spend two days:

-one day at Colter Bay. Hike the Lakeshore Trail, and Swan Lake/Heron Pond Loop, take a lake cruise, see the Native American artifacts museum.

-one day at Jenny Lake. Take the boat across to the Hidden Falls trail head, hike past the falls to Inspiration Point and into Cascade Canyon.

Also spend spend a day in Jackson. Lots of shops and eateries, a good wildlife art museum, and a dusty little local history museum, plus on Wednesday and Saturday in season there’s a local rodeo.
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 03:30 AM

Float trip on the Snake? Fly fishing?
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Great input everyone. Thank you so much!
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 11:21 AM

I agree that I would spend 4 days in Yellowstone and 2 in the Tetons. But finding lodging might be tricky. Check out Yellowstone NOW--do not wait! You may have to move around each day. But it's worth it!
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 08:03 AM

Good morning - so much great Info on these threads. Please excuse my hijacking for a quick opinion from this knowledgeable group. Will be arriving Friday around noon in Jackson with my 24 year old son in June to meet up with our group the next morning (for 6 nights in Yellowstone/Teton). Am deciding among the Anvil, the Wort and Lexington hotels. All seem extrely central and convenient. Not sure if we'll need a/c ( the exact date is June 22) but I think one of these hotels doesn't offer it.
Could anyone endorse one of these hotels ? They all seem fine- would just like our first night (and longest time in Jackson proper) to be amazing. Understood that it will be amazing no matter what!
thanks in advance -
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 01:56 PM

The best meal we had on our NP trip which included Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Arches and more was dinner at the Alpenrose Restaurant located in the Alpenhof hotel. It was marvelous. I had the barbequed bison short ribs which rather than the usual barbeque sauce treatment was served with a wild berry glaze. It was a stunning dish. Our stay at the Alpenhof was also a highlight of the trip.