France and Italy

Old Jan 10th, 2018, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
France and Italy

So we have finally decided on France and Italy for our trip this May 2018 and I know it’s getting close. We, myself and my daughters 27 and 24 of age. Leaving Orlando, Fl to Paris on 04/30 and returning from Rome on 5/19. I just need to know if this trip is feasible.
Paris 5 nights taking train to
Lyons 3 nights taking train to
Nice 3 nights flying to
Rome 4 nights taking train to
Naples 3 nights then back to Rome 5/19 to take flight back home.
I am still trying to make hotel/ B&B arrangement. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Also when in Paris should I buy the Paris Museum Pass. I was also told not to use taxis in Paris, but Paris metro or bus. I know this is our first trip to the two countries and it’s a lot cramp in, but my daughters seem to think they can do it. Please any advice is appreciated.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 12:40 PM

Sounds like a reasonable plan. We can't make accommodation recommendations without a budget, though - that is, what do you want to spend per night,in EUROS?

You have to do the math to decide if the Museum Pass works for you or not. We can't guess.

There's no need to use taxis IN Paris, but getting from the airport to the city it may be a good and easy and economical idea.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 01:04 PM

Wait until Paris to buy the museum pass if you figure it is a good deal - buy at any partcipating museum - I try to go to a less visited one to avoid long lines at places like Louvre to buy it. Many museums half-priced Sundays and closed Tuesdays (some like Louvre free on 1st Sunday of month I believe.

Book those trains far in advance for deep discounted tickets -- usually 90-120 days in advance possible - for France www.voyages-sncf.com; for Italy trenialia.com or www.italotreno.com - competing rail lines using similar trains that roll over same tracks and use same stations. For lots on trains check www.seat61.com - adroit advice on booking your own trains; general info budgeteuropetravel.com, and www.ricksteves.com.

Last edited by PalenQ; Jan 10th, 2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 01:31 PM

>>> I was also told not to use taxis in Paris

Ask whoever told you why. This is not a one size fits answer. During the workday, the surface traffic moves at snail speed. Metros are not impacted by the traffic jam. Bus has the same problem in this case.

>>> Naples 3 nights then back to Rome 5/19 to take flight back home.

If I count the days correctly. You are staying the night of 5/18 in Naples, then train to Rome on 5/19 then fly home on 5/19?
If your flight home is early, it cannot be done.
If your flight home is in the afternoon, this is risky. There are things called train strikes and other last minutes foul ups.
One way to avoid this is to fly Nice to Naples, or fly Nice to Rome then go immediately to Naples. Do Rome last.
You are then within a taxi distance to FCO for your flight home.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 02:49 AM

Since you only have cities listed in your itinerary, consider swapping one for a more rural destination. For example Naples for the Amalfi Coast.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 07:25 AM

Go to Naples before Rome and end the trip in Rome - that way you don't have to backtrack. Greg's right.

What's the attraction of Lyon? It's not usually on the top of a tourist list. If you're thinking it's just on the way to Nice, that's not a reason to blow 3 nights there. And there are other parts of France that may be far more interesting like the Loire Valley or Normandy.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 07:40 AM

Why are you letting someone tell you whether to use a taxi or not? This is your decision, it has nothing to do with Paris, it would be the same in any city with public transportation and taxis. I know some people who wouldn't be caught dead in the metro, for example, and would definitely take a taxi. So are you the type of person who doesn't like to use public transportation and mix with the masses or not? It also obviously has to do with income and spending decisions.

There's nothing I see that isn't feasible in your itinerary.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

I could also fly from Naples back to Orlando, Fl. Any one knows anything about that airport.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 10:33 AM

Although getting around by metro is generally easy, there are definitely times when hopping in a taxi is the way to go. It can be very fast and easy and involve less walking. There is no hard and fast rule. If you see a taxi and want to make life easier for yourself, go for it.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 06:14 PM

I think that the decision on a cab or Metro depends on the location of your hotel and your comfort level in a new city (I’m assuming that you haven’t been to Paris before). We’ve done both, and either is ok if the hotel’s not too far a walk (it also depends on which RER or Metro you’re exiting). If the three of you can share the cab that would make the cost less per person.

As someone else wrote, to suggest hotels please give an idea of your budget, and how many of you would be in each room. Are you, Mom, in one room and your daughters in another, or are all three of you wishing to share one room? Anything else important to you? All those things will help.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 07:01 PM

If you can fly back from Naples, absolutely do it! It is a small airport compared with Rome, very easy to navigate and well located just on the edge of the city, a quick taxi or bus just about right to the airport doors. There is one bus, the Alibus that takes you from the city center or the central train station. Those are the only stops and it is cheap. Of course, with three of you and luggage, a taxi would be convenient.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 10:06 PM

I bet flights from Naples would connect through Rome or some other European airport anyways. Check on the routing, make sure there isn't some crazy 10-hour or longer connection somewhere.

For the Paris Museum Pass, you have to really commit to going to museums for 3 or 4 days in a row, all day almost, to make it worth your while. Now many people will get one just to skip the queues at the popular museums like the Louvre, Orsay and others. Orangerie also used to have queues when it first opened as well.

But there are other venues worth going, like St. Chappelle, the Hugo museum as well. Of course Pompidou is also very popular but a lot of people don't like modernist and later art.

Now do they allow Ubers in Paris? That would get you point to point but another option is City Mapper app. that you can have on smart phones. But you'd need data access when you're away from your hotel wifi. It will actually calculate and track buses. The metro is easier to figure out but on a clear day, the bus will let you see more of the city instead of the metro trains running underground. If you happen to have T-Mobile in the US, you'd get free data in most of Europe. Slow but free data so you can use things like Google Maps, City Mapper and various travel apps. while you're out and about.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 11:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Naples airport is pleasant enough and very close to the city centre.
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 04:32 AM

I agree with ToujoursVoyager that you might want to consider a detour away from big cities. Yes, some cities like Paris and Rome are of course great, but you will be passing through some fantastic areas, like Provence and the Cote d'Azur, in which the highlights are not at all in citites.
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 09:32 AM

Yes like instead of staying in Lyons, a large busy city, consider instead staying in Avignon and taking excursions into one of the most gorgeous parts of Provence - a short car rental would be nice. Lyons is a nice city but lacks the charm of more rural Provence.
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have taken taxis in Paris many times, especially when I have traveled with my mother and aunt, who are not as spry as I am. so I agree with Christina, take taxis if and when it makes sense for you.

As for hotels, yes, what are you looking to spend?

In Naples we stayed at Hotel Piazza Bellini and really liked it. Very convenient location, close to the archaeological museum. That part of Naples is not relaxing, though, (more like ultra-stimulating, some would say overstimulating).

Official Website - Hotel Napoli Italy Hotel Piazza Bellini Napoli

I've stayed quite a few places in Rome, at very different price points, this past July
VOI Hotel Donna Camilla Savelli Rome - 4 Star Hotel Rome

And the previous summer here:
https://www.hotelnerva.com/

And before that here:
https://www.hotelsancarloroma.com/

And years ago, here, although nowadays the Pantheon is a little too central/crowded for me:
Albergo del Senato Rome - Official Site - Rome 3 Star Hotel Pantheon
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 11:38 AM

Do they use Uber in Paris? Good question as taxi drivers groups are constantly trying to block them - not sure of current status but think Yes.