Phra That Cave - Kanchanaburi, Thailand

Old Jan 8th, 2018, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phra That Cave - Kanchanaburi, Thailand

We visited the cave by accident but it was actually really nice!
Here's our report:

This was definitely one of the most physically challenging days we had in Thailand. First we drove off on a rented motorbike which I was not looking forward to since I had never been on one, and even though I trust Joris's driving skills, he hadn't ridden one since years ago...  so what could go wrong, right? Luckily nothing, but the ride was pretty long and uncomfortable for me on the back of the motorbike. We rode for almost 2 hours from Kanchanaburi to the park.

Our first stop was Erawan national park with the famous seven stage waterfall where, normally, you can swim. Unfortunately, the night before it rained way too much and nobody was allowed to go in the pools. So to keep it short#160;swimming was prohibited and in stead of beautiful blue water, we got poopy brown water. Bleh. After looking around and taking some pictures, we decided to head out for Phra That Cave; a tip from the owner of our guesthouse. On the motorbike, boohoo, once more having to endure the literal pain in my ass (pun intended).

Pra That Cave is situated only 8 kilometers far from the Erawan Waterfall so only a short ride and the Erawan Waterfall entry ticket is also valid for the cave! It's a big cave; around 200 metres wide and there are a lot of awesome stalactites and stalagmites, some even translucent. Before getting inside the cave, visitors need to ask for a guide to navigate you throughout the cave. You need to be there before 3 p.m!
When we finally arrived at the entrance we realized that if we wanted to see the cave, we would have to walk a mile up the mountain, on a series of uneven, slippery stairs, through the humid and mosquito infested jungle. What can I say, we rode all the way here so we weren't gonna quit now.
Man up, take a deep breath and power through! Huwa! And up we went! It took us some sweat and tears but we made it to the top.
On the plus side: the higher we went, the less mosquitos there were. And man, it was a long way but we made it and we were more than ready to go in.

At the entrance, the guide was waiting to take people into the cave. With our headlights on, we and a small group of people followed him into a small, slippery opening and then, there it was; tall, beautiful and spacious with lots of pretty and interesting formations. It always feels like a different world inside caves. We were able to comfortably navigate by walking on a man made wooden path along and across the cave. The atmosphere combined with the gas lamp our guide was holding, was kind of magical.

Needless to say we enjoyed ourselves and the whole mile up the mountain was worth it. Going down the wretched stairs we encouraged a few fellow travelers on their way up, ensuring them that their sweat and effort would not be in vain.

For our pictures, please check: https://www.theworldaheadofus.com/bl...e-kanchanaburi