Galveston

Old Nov 5th, 2017, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Galveston

Hello,
I am planning a trip for a large group of friends (12 adults who like to have fun, no kids) and we were thinking of renting a couple of beach houses in Galveston. Looking for any suggestions on areas (we are coming in from all over U.S. and Canada) as we are unfamiliar with the area. Are there certain areas that we should look at to stay or to avoid? We will have rental cars. Close to the beach would be great--doesn't need to be right it. Community or private pool would be nice. Walking distant to bars and restaurants is a big plus!
TIA!
Old Nov 5th, 2017, 07:18 PM

I would recommend Ft Walton beach / Destin FL area. The water is emerald green, the beach beautiful, unlike Galveston that will have muddy colored water. Any area east of the Mississippi River will have prettier water than Galveston. Tons of condos to rent in those areas too. Check out VRBO or Air BnB
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 05:14 AM

I agree with jill. Forget Texas beaches, especially Galveston. Florida is where you want to be. I will add Pensacola Beach to the mix. It's much less crowded than the Destin area. Plenty of large houses to rent.
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 08:16 AM

Considering the weather-related beatings Galveston has had, especially earlier this year, and the fact that it was kinda dumpy before those acts of G-d wrecked it, the real question is why it was your initial choice. The only logical answer is that it's close to Houston, which has a major airport.

If that is the reason, then you are prioritizing a place close to a hub-size airport. No other Gulf beach area offers similar proximity except maybe the Tampa area because Orlando is close by. New Orleans' airport is decent-sized and an easy drive to the Mississippi Gulf towns (Biloxi, Gulfport, etc) and Mobile. Ultimately, the Florida suggestions above are good - those towns would have restos and places for entertainment near the beach. Galveston wouldn't crack the top 15 for Gulf destinations.
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 12:02 PM

Yes, please give your reasons for Texas and/or Galveston first before we can dismiss it or recommend something else. I agree that the Gulf Coast of Florida is preferable by a long shot, even before factoring in the recent hurricane damage. But if you are coming to Texas for a specific reason, can it be anywhere in Texas? South Padre Island has (a) the best beach in Texas, (b) a lot of bar and restaraunt opportunities.
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 12:13 PM

We rent a place on the beach in Galveston every year for a family gathering. We usually stay between Jamaica Beach and St. Louis Pass. The farther "South" the nicer the beach is. There are all sizes of beach houses available.
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 06:09 PM

Agree with others that Galveston is an odd choice for a beach town. We were there about 5 years ago. The beach is probably the worst one I've been to. There are many better choices. What time of year are you going?
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 08:35 PM

I love Galveston. It is true the beaches are not like Florida
or even South Padre, but the vibe is great, with the seawall, lots of bars and restaurants and history.

If your focus will be mainly spending time on the beach, consider somewhere with more pristene sand and water. But Galveston is fun.