Planning my trip

Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning my trip

Hi travelers

I am planning a trip to europe ( avoiding Britain ) for about 15 days .. which includes cruise for 3 nights 4 days starting Italy ending in Barcelona . We are Indian passport holders .. need your guidance to plan my journey mostly using euro rail between the countries ... just to keep in mind that I have my daughter 7 yrsbold and mom 58 yrs old travelling with me ... looking for your help ..

Thanks in advance

Poonam
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are aware that you need a short stay visa to visit the Schengen area, which includes Italy and Spain?

With such a short visit I would suggest seeing more of either Italy or Spain.

For info on train travel in Europe read https://www.seat61.com/
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 10:39 AM

OK Rome for starters

Florence

Milan

Nice

Barcelona

Those are fairly long train trips except Rome-Florence-Milan

I'd suggest you price any Eurailpass with individual tickets at www.trenitalia.com or www.italotreno.com for italy and www.thello.com for Milan to Nice

And www.voyages-sncf.com for Nice to Barcelona.

For lots on trains check www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Book your own tickets online well in advance to get discounts -which could be better than a pass (only one to consider is Eurail Select valid in Italy, France and Spain and with a pass you still must pay $10-15 supplement for each train - kid gets a free pass but still pays the seat reservation supplements.

If wanting fully flexible tickets you can buy once there and first class a pass may well be a good deal but discounted 2nd class tickets may well be cheaper.
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 11:55 AM

Fly into one city and out of another. Do not waste time and money doing RT into the same city and backtracking.

Your cruise is 4 days out of 15.
That leaves only 11 days.
Since it begins in Italy and ends in Spain, divide your time between those two countries.

Where in Italy does the cruise begin? Rome? Genoa?

You are ending the cruise in Barcelona. Stay at least 3 nights (two days, plus the day of your flight home). That leaves approx. 8 days.

Either see two places (possibly Venice and Rome?) in Italy before the cruise, or one place in Italy and after visiting Barcelona, take the high speed train to Madrid for two more days. Forget rail passes. Buy point to point tickets.

For better advice, give more info about dates and beginning of cruise.
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 12:11 PM

Sorry thought you were taking trains between Italy and Barcelona but you are taking a cruise from Italy to Barcelona.

So land in Italy maybe in Venice - trains to Florence (for just a quick one night-stand perhaps or none) and Rome and to Civitavecchia if boat leaves from there and yes fly out of Madrid- just about 3.5 hours by train from Barcelona. Or just stay in Barcelona and fly out of there.

Yes forget all railpasses - there are no Euro Rail trains - Euro Rail and Eurailpass are companies selling Eurailpasses that are valid on nearly all trains but there is no direct connection between them.

You'll be taking Italian trains in Italy and Spanish trains in Spain. Book Barcelona-Madrid train tickets early at www.renfe.com for discounts or same prices and trains at easier to use www.thetrainline.com.