Search

Only 3 days in Delhi and so many choices

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2017, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only 3 days in Delhi and so many choices

Clearly not an original dilemma!

We have 3 days -actually 2.5 days -in Delhi at the end of 9 weeks in Sri Lanka and India and I want to experience the city without exhausting ourselves. and without spending too much time visiting the 'must see' places and attractions. I suspect we will be 'forted and palaced and templed out' after spending 2.5 weeks in Tamil Nadu and Kerala near the beginning of our 6 weeks in India and about the same amount of time in Rajhistan, Agra and Varanasi before arriving in Delhi.

We're staying in Karol Bagh which I think is reasonably close to Chandra Chowk, Red Fort etc. We are big fans of cycle tours and I've read a bit about a Dutch outfit that does small group, early morning bike tours of different areas of Delhi. Good idea? Also wondering about using the Metro as a means of getting about? It seems efficient and reasonably easy to navigate. Places like Lodi Gardens and Humayun's Tomb seem interesting.

Any suggestions for 'off the beaten track' things to do, places to go, would be appreciated. Happy travels to all1
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 05:31 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I found Mrs. Gandhi's house a fascinating place: http://www.aroundthisworld.com/indir...e-delhi-india/
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 06:04 AM

I agree about Indira Gandhis home. Been there twice and its quite moving.

And please see my reply on your visa thread about using BLS.
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 06:06 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOUTrv4af88

This is a pretty cool craft market.
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 09:56 AM

The bike ride cold be great fun, fun, but VERY challenging. Be surethey supply helmets. Traffic on Indian city streets is insane, with seemingly nonexistent "rules of the road."

Metro: haven't taken it, but friends have and loved it.Said it's very easy to navigate.

Karol Bagh is a good area. I've stayed there in a wonderful, now closed homestay. Very much a busy thriving "local" neighborhood type place with a lively "main street." IF you happen to want a scarf as a gift, there's a famous shop on that street called Ahujason's.

Lodhi Gardens--it's ok, not so much because it is particularly scenic, but to mingle with lots of New Delhi folks out for a stroll
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 10:27 AM

Ok, here are some of my favs:

If you have any interest in architecture or the design of water systems, Humayuns tomb is a definite "must" for me. Their landscape irrigation system is amazing. The fort is passable

I don't know if I'd want to ride a bicycle in Delhi, and I love bike touring. You might wait to reserve a spot till you've checked out Delhi roads.

We've had a lot of fun going to the Jama Mashid, then hiring a rickshaw to take us through Chandni Chowk. Have him take you to Paratha Wali Gali for a delicious snack and it will take you through the tiniest alleys. There are a bunch of Paratha shops here, so choose one that looks good or check out this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH5yRjPL37I

Note: negotiate hard whenever hiring a rickshaw; they are usually local transport, so a 50 rupee ride will be quoted at 1,000 to a tourist!

When you are done snacking, have someone point you toward the main road, choosing your alley by it's type of shops; jewelry, electrical items, saris, etc are all lumped together on separate lanes.

When you get out to the main street, head toward the Red Fort to find the Metro station. There is an interesting temple (Jain, I think) along the way with a bird and animal hospital.

If you'd like to have a henna 'tattoo', a fun place to get one is at the Hanuman Temple about 2 blocks from the back side of the Imperial hotel, also about 2 blocks from Janpath lane or the outer ring of Connaught Place.
There will be tons of mehndi artists on stools outside. Many have notebooks with designs to choose from. Negotiate here, too. Keep in mind that you need to let the paste dry before removing for the best results. It takes at least an hour, so have it done somewhere on your body that you don't mind having to proect from smudging for a while.. Once, my daughter had a very elaborate one done on her foot, and we had to take an auto rickshaw back to our hotel as she couldn't put her shoe back on!
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 10:38 AM

One of the most enjoyable things I did during several trips to India was a tour by foot & rickshaw of Old Delhi, early in the day and included breakfast at a traditional coffeehouse. It was conducted by the owner of Master Guesthouse where I stayed several times, Avnish.

It isn't mentioned on their website but would be worthwhile to email and ask if he's still doing them or if someone's picked up the torch. Maybe preferable to bicycles. http://www.master-guesthouse.com/home.html
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 11:13 AM

In my post above, I am talking about a bike rickshaw, not an auto rickshaw. The auto rickshaws couldn't even fit on the alleys of Chahdni Chowk!
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 11:21 AM

"...I am talking about a bike rickshaw, not an auto rickshaw."

Me too.
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 06:23 PM

Do you like art? You could go to the National Gallery of Modern Art (NGMA). It's one of my favorites in all Delhi. You can see original daniellis - earliest Western impressions of India done by an uncle nephew duo who sailed down the Ganges. Also, many other Indian and Pakistani painters post 1850. It sees remarkably few visitors by Indian standards, and is walking distance from pandara road, where gulati's serves amazing butter chicken and other mughlai food. Not your usual tourist drill. Use Google maps for directions and take an Uber from wherever you are to India gate. NGMA is on the hexagon.