Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vacation choices

Have to decide on vacation choices
have it narrowed down
PV
NV
Cozumel
Riveria Maya (how different is this than Cancun)
Old Jun 16th, 2017, 02:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
They are the same place. Cancun and Cozumel are along the Riveria Maya, the Caribbean coastline in Quintana Roo.

Puerto Vallarta and Nuevo Vallarta are on the Pacific coast in the states of Jalisco and Nayarit respectively.

All these areas offer similar All-Inclusive options (as you have asked about in other posts).
Old Jun 16th, 2017, 03:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Cancun and the Riviera Maya are not the same place. If you were a travel agent, you'd have known that.
The term 'Riviera Maya' was coined to differentiate the area from Cancun. The zone extends roughly from Puerto Morelos and south to the area around Tulum.
Old Jun 16th, 2017, 04:24 PM
kja

How long will you visit? At what time of year?

As baldone notes, the Riviera Maya and Cancun are quite different. You might want to click on the DESTINATIONS tab at the top center of this web-page, or consult a few decent guidebooks at any bookstore or library.

Good luck!
Old Jun 17th, 2017, 06:44 AM

When I pull up maps for "Riviera Maya" is shows from Cancun down to Tulum and a bit further south, the northeastern part of the Yucatan Peninsula.

If I were a travel agent, I would have said so.
Old Jun 17th, 2017, 09:57 AM

Some maps, including the Mapchick maps, are now showing Cancun as part of the Riviera Maya, but it was not originally part of the RM and is a different world.
I've stayed in both PV and Riviera Maya (Akumal and Puerto Morelos), also Isla Mujeres. I visited Nuevo once two years ago when I went on a timeshare visit (no I did not buy) and the beaches are nice enough for that coast, but it is way too isolated from PV proper for my personal taste.
It kind of depends on what you are looking for.
Old Jun 17th, 2017, 05:22 PM

The Mayan and Cancun are very different areas. I have been to both but prefer the Mayan over Cancun. Cancun is much like a city and very Americanized. The Mayan has a whole different flavor. You do fly into the same airport, but the same can be said about PV, NV, Bucerias, La Cruz, etc.
The Mayan runs from just south of Cancun starting at about Punta Nizuc and runs down to Tulum. There are many, many AI's along here that offer great stays and anywhere from budget to high end accommodations.
The town of Puerto Morelos, Playa del Carmen, Puerto Aventuras (which is really more a gated, marina community), Akumal and Tulum.
Playa is quite touristy, kind of like PV with everything from budget, condo, non AI and AI there.
Puerto Morelos is much more a Mexican community with the pueblo across the highway.
Depending on what you are looking for, AI which it seems you are will vary greatly depending on wants. Whether you want to see ruins (mayan side), cenotes (mayan side), smaller towns (either side), great beaches (mayan or NV to a lesser extent), with kids will also depend on the resort you choose.
I have been to both numerous times so can give information on all the destinations including Cabo which I have only been to a handful of times, but know it quite well.
Old Jun 17th, 2017, 06:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
suze, you have this penchant for advising people about places you've never been and about things you've never done, nor have the slightest inclination to see or do. Like in this instance. You've never been to the 'other side' so you wouldn't really know the difference, now would you? Would you also include in the RM Isla Mujeres? Isla Holbox? People like the OP seek advice from others that have actually been to the places that interest them. Otherwise, what's the point of asking? Posting just for the sake of posting benefits no one, except maybe you. It would be like me saying that PV and NV are the same because they're close on the map. Except I've actually been to both and know the difference. Be happy with being the Queen of PV, instead of the Queen of the rest of Mexico.
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 05:26 AM

The Riviera Maya does not mean Cancun. It's the coastal area from below it going south. Suze has never been in this area and doesn't know much about it. I don't care what maps she's "pulling up", no one calls Cancun the Riviera Maya, they mean a different area when they say that. If some map has that on it, I suspect it is just the upper point of where it starts.

This is a map of the Riviera Maya that I "pulled up" and it doesn't include Cancun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riviera_Maya

The Riviera Maya is very different from Cancun, which is a very concentrated hotel resort area (presuming that's where you would stay), and very dense builtup bars and restaraunts right around them. Many that are American chains and not particularly good ones. The beach area along there can have rough waves. The center of Cancun I do not find particularly appealing myself. You can certainly visit other areas by day trips from there, there are many companies that will take you to Chichen Itza, etc., and you can go to Isla Mujeres for the day by ferry easily enough, also. They have some calmer beaches there. If you want a more interesting Mexican experience, I wouldn't go to Cancun but if you just want to stay in a hotel and have beachfront, it's easiest.

I'm not that crazy about Cozumel in the town itself, I think that island is okay if you want to do a lot of diving or snorkeling. I've gone there for the day by ferry just for snorkeling, and it's find for that. It has some interior ruins and more bucolic areas than near the town center, I believe, which I've never seen so can't comment on how interesting they are or if you must have a car to see them or if there are day tours to them, also. Cozumel is a huge cruiseship port, of course,

The Riveria Maya is good if you want a nice resort hotel along a nice beach, more calm than Cancun, but you'll need a car or to take day bus tours to go places (like Coba or Chichen Itza or Tulum, unless you stay there). This isn't a big problem. You can stay right in some town themself, like Tulum and Puerto Morelos. I haven't stayed in Puerto Morelos, just went there for the day to go snorkeling once, it's much smaller than Playa del Carmen which is the biggest city along that coast.

maried has a pretty good description, it really depends what you are looking for. If you stay in Tulum, it is smaller and quieter but then you don't have as many options and that could be boring for you. Really depends what you want.
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 07:15 AM

<If some map has that on it, I suspect it is just the upper point of where it starts.>

Yes Christina, that is what maps for the area showed.

<Some maps, including the Mapchick maps, are now showing Cancun as part of the Riviera Maya>

Thanks jamie. Yes that's what I was finding too.

<Would you also include in the RM Isla Mujeres? Isla Holbox?>

I don't know baldone, would you?
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 11:13 AM

I dont' understand why anyone who hasn't been there would try to give info? Anyone can google ( we all know everything on the internet is true), but that just isn't helpful. Why not leave it to people who have actually been there? That is where actual advice comes from.
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 12:38 PM

So you have never once in your professional career planned or booked a trip for someone to a place you have not been yourself?
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 04:44 PM

Oh no, in my professional career I have, but I have done extensive training, been certified and gone to many seminars, webinars, never rely on google.
That is entirely different because I've been doing this for 22 years and am certified in many properties, chains, destinations, etc. Google is not my where I go for info or what would I be good for?
You can't compare the two. Just not the same thing at all....
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 05:03 PM

Also, because I wanted to be a travel agent I did two years in college in a certified college before I was allowed to work in the industry. Not just deciding I wanted to be on like many fly by night agents do who give real agents a bad name. You just can't compare the training I had to "I pulled it up on google maps".
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 04:00 AM

Cancun, is NOT part of the Riviera Maya. The Riviera Maya starts from Puerto Morelos down to Tulum...
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 04:05 AM

People who have never been to a given destination should refrain from suggesting or advising, it makes no sense ...
Your comments only make sense married11...
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 06:39 AM

For once, many regulars herein seem to agree on one important fact. If you have never been to a particular area and choose to advice, you are doing a great disservice to this site and to the OP.
These sites are meant to aid, support and advice. If one has never been, then you are merely giving an OPINION based on heresy... and not from actual, boots on the ground, experiences.
By the way Suze, Isla Mujeres and Holbox are not part of the RM.
There are talks now, of including Majajual (4 hours south of Playa) into the RM fold, of course, this from the businessmen and committee leaders in Majajual, as they too, would like to profit from the great influx on tourists in the province of Quintana Roo, which by the way, does include Cancun.
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 10:12 AM

Yes, I don't agree with the maps either and would never consider Cancun as part of the Riviera Maya, just reporting what some maps say.
Majajual is in the Costa Maya period, for heaven's sake they even have (or had in the past) big overhead signs saying "Welcome to the Costa Maya" a bit south of Tulum.
Old Jun 20th, 2017, 07:00 AM

What type of vacation are you looking for? (We were in Tulum in March, so I feel comfortable giving my opinion).

We loved Tulum and would go back in a second (and will). But this was expressly for a few days of rest-and-relaxation. The beach is beautiful, the hotels on the beach are lovely (from mid to upscale, although there is even a campground), the food is great, the shopping is fine. With a car, you can get to Tulum, Coba, etc. easily. It is about a 2-hour drive from Cancun airport.