Berlin or Munich and Stuttgart?

Old Mar 11th, 2017, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berlin or Munich and Stuttgart?

Hello
I am planning a trip by bus to Germany and other cities of the East but they are two different circuits and in one would have opportunity to know Berlin but in the other would be in the route Stuttgart and Munich. Are there differences between these cities? I want to get an idea of Germany and that is my doubt. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 02:02 PM
kja

They are very different! Unlike Stuttgart and Munich, Berlin was largely destroyed in WWII, and so is generally quite modern.

I would strongly urge you to get a good guidebook or two -- the cost will be nugatory in comparison to your trip, and you will learn things that you don't even know you need to ask.

Good luck!
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 02:50 PM

Berlin is fascinating, in my opinion, but then I'm very interested in WWII, and there's lots of stuff to see in Berlin. Great museums, too.

I never get tired of Berlin, and I have no idea how many times I've been there.

I agree that they're very different. And I agree that you should get a guidebook. All kinds of information in guidebooks.
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 03:55 PM

kja could you kindly refrain from making comments about things you clearly don't know anything about?
Berlin was in fact less destroyed than Munich or Stuttgart which is simply due to its size. And then there's always the question to which degree after the war there was reconstruction or if there was the decision to build completely new buildings.
Stuttgart was worst hit of all three and looks least pre 1945 historic while Munich was rebuilt more traditionally despite a destruction level of 90% in the old town.
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 04:01 PM
kja

@ Lubitsch: Could you kindly refrain from unnecessarily harsh comments? I regret if a mischaracterized the reason, but even if because of a decision about how to rebuild, the core of Berlin seems much more modern than the historic cores of either other city.

And that isn't better or worse, just different.
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 04:38 PM

You've never been to Stattgart, right?
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 06:40 PM
kja

@ Lubitsch: That right! But let me start again:

Welcome to Fodors! Obviously, my comment upset you -- enough that you joined Fodor's just to chide me. (Wow!) As it turns out, that's not necessary: I'm educable, and I actually appreciate the information. No need to be hostile. As already noted, I regret the mischaracterization.

Now, perhaps we can focus on the question asked by the original poster? IMO,
no one can "get an idea of Germany" by visiting just one or two or even three cities, no matter how much one might enjoy any of those locations. To be very clear: Just my opinion.