Redwoods National Park

Old Oct 24th, 2016, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redwoods National Park

Hi, we are a family of 3 traveling to the Redwoods in early December. Has anyone been during December, and is very rainy and miserable?

Also, where's the best area to stay when vising the park? We want a place that will give us easy access to the park, thanks!
Old Oct 24th, 2016, 11:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> . . . and is very rainy and miserable? >We want a place that will give us easy access to the park, thanks!
Old Oct 24th, 2016, 02:00 PM

It's not the time I'd pick to visit Redwoods. There are not all that many indoor things to do for one thing. Why December?

You're better off picking two bases. I don't know how much time you've got, but as Janisj said, it's a whole region. If you do one base, you'll end up doing a lot of driving each day.
Old Oct 24th, 2016, 04:31 PM

We like the Best Western in Garberville: big rooms, evening reception, great big breakfast, and several dinner options nearby.

HTtY
Old Oct 25th, 2016, 09:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
If you just want to drive through the redwoods then probably the two best roads are the Avenue of the Giants (Humboldt Redwoods State Park) and the Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway (Prarie Creek Redwoods State Park). But as janisj noted they are 100 miles, a solid 2+ hours driving from each other.

We wanted to hike and settled on Trinidad, the closest town to Prairie Creek Visitor Center, and were happy with that choice. Even so, it's still 20-30 minutes each way to get to the main trails. We'll save the southern portion of the parks near Garberville for another trip.

I think these two sites have the best info:
http://redwoodhikes.com/
http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml

Make sure you have good rain gear in December!