Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Naples, Amalfi coast and Puglia - suggestions please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2016, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Naples, Amalfi coast and Puglia.

We have a two week window (14 nights) and are planning on visiting Naples, a bit of the Amalfi coast, and then Puglia. Starting out from, and returning to, Venice.

I was thinking train from Venice to Naples on April 25th
Three nights in Naples,
Train to Salerno
Two nights in Salerno, visit maybe Positano by ferry
So then there are nine nights left for Puglia, or maybe eight nights for Puglia, and a night somewhere between Puglia and Venice.
Arrive back in Venice on May 9th. We are locked in to starting and finishing in Venice. Train connections from Bari to Venice via Bologna are OK, and we could spend a night in Ancona or Rimini.
So, train from Salerno to somewhere in Puglia, spend say three nights.
Train or bus to somewhere else in Puglia, spend two nights.
Train or bus to Bari, spend three nights.
Leave Bari, head to Venice, with an overnight stop en route.

We would prefer not to hire a car, and would like a combination of smaller towns, a bit of history and a bit of coastal/seaside.

Open to suggestions, and we don’t know a whole lot about southern Italy.
Old Oct 23rd, 2016, 04:51 PM
kja

It depends on your interests and preferences!

From my perspective, 3 nights is too little for Naples, 2 nights could work for Salerno and Paestum, but leaves you no time for anywhere else on the Amalfi Coast (or maybe just a quick ride by). If you're going to as far as Puglia, do consider making time for at least one or two nights in Matera. Bari would not be my personal choice for a base in Puglia -- Lecce is delightful, IMO, and I would also prefer Trani to Bari. YMMV.

No need for a car for these particular places.

If you have to shortchange one or more of these areas, I personally would shortchange Venice -- not because I didn't like it (I adored it!), but because it's the easiest to reach. For the time and energy it will take to get to Naples and the Amalfi Coast and especially to get to Puglia, my recommendation would be to be sure you have enough time in those places for what YOU want to see and do. JMO.

You'll see some wonderful things no matter what you choose!
Old Oct 23rd, 2016, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't been to Puglia, but was in Naples and the Amalfi Coast for the first time as an adult this past summer. I loved both for vastly different reasons. Naples is wild, gritty and fascinating. Three nights would not be enough for me--there is so much to see there. But it is a busy-feeling big city, so if that does not appeal, I guess three nights would be okay. Naples felt even more intense than Palermo to me, and that's saying something.

We only were in Salerno to catch a train, so cannot comment on it. We stayed in Ravello, which was pure bliss. The hassle of getting there was worth it because the views are shockingly beautiful. We saw some sights at a relatively leisurely pace (for me; I sort of don't know what a leisurely pace is).

The AC feels resort-y, but in a good way. If walking is of interest, there are lots of trails in the AC--we walked to and from Amalfi, via Atrani, and took some inland destination-less walks as well--but if you hit rainy weather it could be a drag.

Have fun planning and have more fun when you are there!
Old Oct 24th, 2016, 05:24 AM

The train ride from Bari to Venice isn't particularly scenic. Fly back with Volotea: Bari dp 18.45 - Venice are 20.10, fares start actually at 20 EUR
https://booking.volotea.com/Calendar...?culture=en-GB
Old Oct 24th, 2016, 05:30 AM

I would suggest adding a day at Amalfi Coast.

The town of Amalfi is very beautiful, with an outstanding cathedral, a beautiful market and lemons everywhere.

Accessible by boat, bus or rental car.
Old Oct 24th, 2016, 06:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Trains in Puglia are run by two companies, the usual trenitalia you know well and an odd little one that the politicians forgot when they set up the main one and had to write into the legislation at the last moment. This second one (which you my end up using on any odd lines) can offer a very southern italy experience.

So, I'd catch the train from Naples across to Taranto (probably not stay in Taranto as it is a bit gritty) but catch the train across to Lecce. Along the way you'll have spotted the odd Greek temple by the side of the track.

Lecce is a good place to hang out for a few days but when you want to move on go back to the station and there is a litle hidden entrance to the "other line" and pop down to the gay friendly Gallipoli beaches. (maybe not your thing, but... another world).

Train back from Lecce to the north is more the normal line.

In the same way you went on the water in Venice the thing to do in Lecce is do a cooking course, they are generally very cheap and suddenly you have a new italian mother. What's not to like.