Charleston - how long to stay?

Old Aug 9th, 2016, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charleston - how long to stay?

My husband and I are planning a road trip through the south (September - October 2016) and it looks like we will be in Charleston in mid September. Although my husband spent a few of his childhood years there, he hasn't been back since he was a teenager in the early 1970s.

We have three weeks for our trip - planning to start in New Orleans and end in Washington DC, with stops along the gulf coast, Savannah, Charleston, Asheville, and then heading up the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Would three days be enough (or too much?) time for a good visit in Charleston? We will stay in a hotel in the historic part of the city and would enjoy cultural, scenic and foodie type activities. We enjoy walking, so would likely garage our rental car for much of the stay in the city.

Any suggestions for museums, historical walks, restaurants, or other don't-miss activities/sights would be greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 9th, 2016, 12:23 PM

Three days would be a nice amount. I suggest more in Charleston than Savannah, for expamle since you mention that.
There are nice trips up and down the coast from Charleston also--Beaufort south and Georgetown north.
Old Aug 9th, 2016, 04:26 PM

Agree. I wouldn't want less if I were doing any expeditions.
Old Aug 10th, 2016, 05:42 AM

I think three days is a good number.
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 05:47 PM

Charleston is definitely worth 3+ days. You can walk, and shop and eat and leave your car in the garage. (We did use a cab a couple of times though!)

The trendy restaurants are booked month(s) in advance. Husk is high on everyone's list. We didn't bother. We'd rather find the off the beaten path places.

Circa 1886 (on the premises of the Wentworth Mansion) had phenomenal food. Amen Street Fish & Raw bar--excellent shrimp cocktails and killer good drinks.

The Historic Charleston City Market is worth a walk through. The other downtown shopping is pretty cool, too. If you're into brands, you'll find most of them here as well as local/regional shops. This link gives you some of them: http://www.charlestoncvb.com/plan-yo...n-downtown~445

Another link with some of the sights to see in the area: http://www.charlestoncvb.com/plan-yo...tractions~204/

ENJOY!
Old Aug 27th, 2016, 02:25 AM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
We love Charleston. You could easily spend 3 full and busy days there and not see everything. Take a horse drawn carriage ride through the downtown area, drive out to some of the plantations, walk around Patriot Point and see the ships, tour some of the downtown historical homes, and take a boat out to Fort Sumpter. You'll need a car for some of those, but all are close by. Lots of great restaurants.

Outside of Charleston, there is nearby Kiawah Island with beaches, nature trails, and golf. Beaufort is an easy drive and we enjoyed a walking tour there.

I agree, more to do there than in Savannah.
Old Aug 27th, 2016, 02:57 AM

Dont forget to see the Hunley exhibit--a Civil War submersible they have found and preserved. The aquarium is small and interesting.
As said, a lot more than 3 days would be interesting also, in the area.
Also in the Georgetown area is the Tom Yawkey preserve and the Hobcaw Barony, Bernard Baruch's duck hunting preserve that has been truly preserved as an ecological outpost for Clemson University.
AND of course, the food. Could rival NOLA but in a different cuisine.
Old Aug 27th, 2016, 03:02 AM

http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...PC16/131229800
Tom Yawkey wildlife preserve.
Old Aug 27th, 2016, 08:25 AM

I am following this thread with interest, as we're tentatively planning 3-4 days in Charleston in November. Wouldn't have a car except for the day one day. Thanks for the ideas, keep 'em coming!
Old Aug 27th, 2016, 11:24 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I loved Charleston, stayed a week. My posts of some of my favorite places:
http://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/port...harleston-sc-1