Cabo san lucas or San jose del cabo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2016, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking about going to Mexico following Christmas. We usually go to florida but find ourselves on the west coast for the holidays and thought it might be a great time to go to cabo. I have travelled fairly extensively but i have never been to mexico. I'm trying to figure out the difference between these 2 areas. I'm understanding that SJ del cabo is more remote than CSL. Are there other differences of which i should be aware? Looking at the Resort at Pedgregal or Esperanza in Cabo san Lucas and dreaming of Las Ventanas or Palmilla in SJ del Cabo. The hotels is in san jose del cabo are much more expensive than the ones in cabo san lucas.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 05:12 PM

I personally would choose La Paz a most Mexican city & it lives up to it's name.
Cabo is basically San Diego South with menus in Dollars/English for the most part & only one swimable beach.
La Paz has miles of lovely beaches near by.

San Jose better but still rather Americanized.
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 08:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think any of those resorts would be fabulous. The rich and famous stay at them. If you can afford it, go for any of them.
Old Apr 1st, 2016, 06:16 AM

Nice suggestion, stewbear. I spent some time in La Paz recently and liked it a lot. Very laid back, but just big enough to be interesting. Good beaches, and boat excursions.
Old Apr 1st, 2016, 10:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Your other post mentions a "swimmable beach". If that is a consideration most of those resorts aren't.

I would not send a 1st timer to La Paz (having spent a lovely couple weeks there myself) it simply doesn't have the draw for most that Los Cabos area offers, especially in the luxury properties categories).
Old Apr 1st, 2016, 11:18 AM

Judging by the choices presented, it sounds like OP is looking at luxury properties.
Old Apr 1st, 2016, 11:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Exactly. And La Paz does not offer that in the way the either San Jose del Cabo or Cabo San Lucas does. Seems a funny alternate suggestion. I think the San Jose options are more expensive simply because they are a higher class of resort than even the nice Cabo ones.
Old Apr 1st, 2016, 03:26 PM

Las Ventanas is where George Clooney hangs out. Oprah goes to La Pamilla.

Pueblo Bonito Rose/Blanco and Villa del Palmar are on the swimmable beach, but not in the same class a OP wants. Decisions.
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 05:29 AM

Not such a funny suggestion IMO. The OP states complete unfamiliarity with Baja, but has identified the most obvious properties in the largest tourist area. Perhaps the situation is similar (on "the other side") to those who don't realize there are great places to stay outside the Cancun hotel zone, an entire Yucatan peninsula. And thanks to you, if indeed they are specifically interested in just luxury properties in specific locations, they have good information. And more options as well.