Need advice with buying airline ticket: Austria, Germany maybe Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2016, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and teenage girls (will be 17) are thinking about going to Austria this Summer (in July). We always travel in July so we know all about the crowds and the heat . Anyways, I need some advice on where we should travel into and out of. I was thinking into Munich, Germany (we want to see Bavaria) and out of Vienna, Austria (Salzburg and Vienna and maybe countryside?) or vice versa depending on ticket availability. Exploring the eastern part of Switzerland has also come up but Switzerland seems very expensive so we're not sure at this point. We are thinking of doing a 2 week trip and mostly traveling by train.

Question: 1- what do you think about the flight choice of arriving into Vienna and out of Munich (or vice versa)? 2- Are these countries well connected by train? If so, is train travel relatively inexpensive? (for example, if someone asked me the same question about Italy, I would say: yes and yes). 3- Admittedly I haven't done much research yet but what are the must-sees? (we love art, architecture, the outdoors, palaces, cafes)

Thank you!
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 04:57 PM

You can easily travel between these cities by train. From from Vienna to Salzburg its about 2 1/2 hours. From Salzburg to Munich its about 1 1/2 hours.

Look at the website seat61.com for information about trains and pricing.
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 05:24 PM

Those 3 cities - with a few day trips (Linderhof, Melk Abby, Alps and Hallstatt from salzburg) would make a great trip.
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 09:20 PM

Hi layanluvstotravel,

Just a quick note on the cost of travel --

If you buy your tickets about 90 days in advance, you can get some great travel deals, like about 29€ per person for the trip. Sometimes you can get first class seats for just a bit more due to the great discount. The discounted fares do sell out quickly, so it will be worthwhile to set your itinerary and then buy the tickets when you're in the window.

You can buy at the German rail site

www.bahn.com

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 09:47 PM

>>> We always travel in July so we know all about the crowds and the heat.

I hope that also include sleeping in non air conditioned rooms. Rooms with AC exist but are hard to come by in Switzerland, Austria, and Germany. The locals would say ACs are not needed. That does not necessarily mean you can sleep comfortably without an AC.

I spent the most miserable night in Bern in September. There was no AC at a boutique hotel. The room temperature was still 84F and muggy at midnight! The lowest temperature in the morning was 82F! The next most miserable night was spent in Salzburg, again no AC in July.

There are many other warmer countries: Spain, Italy, Greece, etc. However, most hotels have ACs that work. I get relief at least in the room and at night in these countries.
Old Mar 12th, 2016, 02:24 AM

We visit this area often and are returning this fall.

Price the open jaw flight and make your decision based on price and schedule.

I agree with purchasing train tix as soon as they are available.

As for what is recommended to see and do, you do not even have a specific itinerary yet. Your question is really generic as we know nothing about you other that you want to "see Bavaria" and the cities you then list. There are endless possibilities.

Do your research. That is the first step. Read the many trip reports and posts here and elsewhere and make a list. If you need help whittling it down after you have done some work, post here for assistance.
Old Mar 12th, 2016, 02:41 AM

Even with a much better CHF rate, Switzerland was expensive, so now CH is indeed quite expensive - less for US currency linked countries but if Europe is a bargain for the moment, CH is not.
Old Mar 12th, 2016, 03:08 AM

I also would do the open jaw if the flights are convenient. Otherwise, Munich to Vienna is not that far of a trip if you need to backtrack to get a much better flight.

For train trips in Bavaria, the Bayern Ticket allows for very inexpensive group train/subway/bus travel. Details at Bahn.de and on countless posts on this forum.