Search

South Africa: What shots, meds ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2015, 11:43 AM
gbs
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Africa: What shots, meds ?

I am going on a fairly high-end 10 day trip to South Africa. I have gotten conflicting info on what meds and shots I need to take. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 12:54 PM

I was only told to take anti-malaria pills since I planned to visit Kruger National Park.

South Africa is a wonderful country. Would like to go back again.
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 05:00 PM

When are you traveling? Where? Malaria is seasonal and only in small area areas of S Africa. High end/low end - Mosquitos don't care.
Old Nov 10th, 2015, 03:44 AM

As mentioned, time of year is a factor regarding malaria prophylaxis. In reaching a decision about adequate protection, it's worthwhile to read SaTHNet's (South African National Travel Health Network) expert advice on malaria:

http://www.santhnet.co.za/index.php/...7-malaria.html

Otherwise, no vaccinations are required for entry to SA (provided you didn't visit a Yellow Fever country along the way). A trip such as this is always a good time to make sure you're up to date on the usual shots, such as DPT. The Hep A vaccine is a good one to have in any case as you can get that disease anywhere, no matter the class of trip.
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 03:02 AM

Hi gbs

You really need to consult a travel doctor near where you live as this is quite a specialized field now. They may be overcautious but then you know the risks you are taking in not doing something. Your health is at risk so please seek medical advice!

Kind regards

Kaye
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 05:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I second Kaye's advice. I just went to my travel clinic for a visit ahead of my third safari. Since the last time I went, he's now asking about the potential for my exposure to camels, which apparently are carrying a contagious-to-humans respiratory virus. So be warned that there MAY be things you need to know or be checked for that the folks on a travel forum don't know. You're paying for their expertise and very latest intelligence.