Search

Where in the US!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where in the US!

Hi everyone, I am a lifelong New Yorker, having recently moved to Florida with my two adult daughters in grad school. I am looking for a place to settle for good as we do not like Florida. I am close to retirement age and would love to settle in a suburb or town of medium size with either a lake or coastal near nice clean ocean. Would like some nightlife, good restaurants and decent shopping as well. We found we hate humidity and constant heat and crime in Florida. Was considering jersey shore area, coastal Maine, Long Island, NY or even northwest or Southern California. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would like to start to visit some places this summer to help me decide. Just so confused where to go as we don't want to make another costly mistake like we did by coming to Florida which may be nice for some, but not us. Any suggestions would really be appreciated!
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 02:53 PM

You first mistake is imagining that the entire state of Florida is all alike.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 04:27 PM

I think you will need to define a couple of things:

You hate hot and humid - how do you feel about winter?

What kind of budget ar you looking at - LI and So Cal are both going to be very expensive.

for some areas (Jersey shore) you need to consider the hurricane issue - but there are also issues in parts of SoCal - forest fires, mudslides and earthquakes.

Then, if your daughters plan to stay in the area - what job opportunities are there in their fields?

Suggest you make a VERY specific list of everything you want and then work with one of the sites focused on providing details about various cities/neighborhoods.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 04:36 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I would like to start to visit some places this summer to help me decide.

This is half of a good plan, the other half is to visit in the winter. Some places can be incredibly seductive on a long summer evening, then get transformed by cold or dark or wet or whatever a few months later.

But without more of a wish list, and some indication of cost tolerance, your daughters' employment needs, etc., we're all just guessing. Hillside mansion in Santa Barbara? 250 year old house on Nantucket? Help us out here.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 05:33 PM

And what is your definition of nightlife, good shopping, or even "medium sized" town? A lot places I can think of might fit your climate description, all beautiful areas, but I suspect the nightlife and shopping you consider a minimum need is a lot more than I require...
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 06:42 PM

Northport, Long Island, NY and environs
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 07:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with Neo about Florida and I agree with visiting locations when it is COLD. That "constant heat" you don't like (exactly where IN Florida do you live????) might seem a bit nicer somehow. I'm waiting for somebody to tell us a place, ANY place that is next to an ocean that is not humid.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 07:13 PM

Santa Cruz or Seaside near Monterey might fit the bill.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 02:02 AM

I've heard San Diego is really nice and chilled? I'm looking to do an East-West trip of the US, from new Orleans to LA, so let me know if anyone has any ideas for that, or thinks it is a terrible idea!
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 04:39 AM

"I'm waiting for somebody to tell us a place, ANY place that is next to an ocean that is not humid."

How about most of California? It's one reason so many people wish to live here.

I'd second Santa Cruz County, if you can afford the ridiculous home prices. For much less you can live south of there, on the Central Coast (Morro Bay, Cambria etc). We lived in Los Osos for years, summertime temps rarely got over 80F and humidity was never a problem.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 06:47 AM

I lived on the Jersey shore for many years. There are some great beaches and plenty of good places to eat and shop (too many!). New York City with all it's cultural attractions is just a few hours away, as is Philly. It does get sticky and hot in the summer, but the winters are usually fairly mild. Drawbacks are the summer traffic and the glut of strip malls.
Another part of the country that I love and visited extensively is the Sonoma area of California. It is absolutely beautiful, much of it looks like Tuscany, but with a western feel. However bodies of water are few, except for the ocean which is spectacular, but not for swimming. Close by is San Francisco, the most beautiful city in the US. Sonoma does get hot in the summer unless you are close to the Pacific, which is foggy and cool much of the summer.
I've been to the Maine coast many times, and love it. However many parts of it get congested with tourists in the summer, and the weather ,is pretty dismal in the winter.
I've been living in western New Hampshire for many years, and absolutely love it - no traffic or crime and sweltering heat is rare. Lots of lakes, hiking trails, and skiing. Close to Montreal and Boston. However, the winters are long and brutal - if you don't like cold weather you would be miserable.
I've found there is no 'perfect' place, it's what fits your lifestyle.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 07:51 AM

When will your grad school daughters finish their degrees? Do they plan to work? That will be a primary consideration for location.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 09:13 AM

We relocated to the central coast of CA last year. The weather is near perfect here almost all of the time. We never turn the heat on and don't have AC. But the cost of living is very high and nightlife/shopping is limited.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 09:40 AM

I'm still curious about this crime problem in Florida. Where exactly in Florida do you live? And why do you think the whole state is like that?
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 10:06 AM

For a few moments, pretend like these travel boards don't exist and try some other sources that may be more objective. For example:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Best...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Of course, that's just weather, and there are many other factors that can affect your decision.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 08:21 PM

Bless ya, Ledhead, I'm right there with you. My problem is that my wife and I like drastically different things, and guess who wins that argument?

At any rate, here are two places I'd suggest looking at:

1. Boulder, Colorado. Not near a body of water, but spectacular scenery. College town, very nice people. Cost of living is getting a bit high because of how nice it is. We scoped it out a few years ago when my wife got offered a job there. Most houses don't have AC, and the locals we spoke to said they really weren't needed. It did snow, but with a few very notable exceptions it does not stay long or get deep (going by what the locals said, I have no first-hand experience of Boulder in the winter). Excellent shopping and night-life, and Denver is not far away. I would move there in a minute but my wife doesn't like places where the trees are that sparse.

2. Crossville, Tennessee. A few decent amenities in town, but situated right between Knoxville and Nashville, about an hour in either direction, so lots of nightlife and excitement close by. The world's friendliest people, if they like you they will virtually kidnap you and keep you as a houseguest, feeding you great food until you explode. Southern enough to avoid a bit of the snow that hits further north, but mountainous enough to be coolish in summer. Lakes all over the place. I've known three couples who retired in that vicinity and they all gush about it. Cost of living is very reasonable, and last I heard it was very safe.

In terms of Florida, my brother lives in Braedonton, and he brags that nearby Tampa has never seen a temperature of 100 degrees since the first thermometer arrived. Also, living in DC we have been hit by more hurricanes (including remnants) than he has (in fact in 15 years he hasn't been hit by any). If I had to live in Florida I'd see if I could get a place on Anna Maria Island.

Personally, I'm looking for a place with 80-degree temperatures year round, constant four-foot tubular waves for kayak surfing, no crime, speaks english, stable government, good doctors, and educated people. While I'm dreaming, no sharks or jellyfish or poisonous anything. Close to culture and good restaurants, international airport within a 40-minute drive. Not too crowded, low cost of living. If there are any dangerous animals it's legal to shoot them, then have a traditional celebration where they are cooked and eaten. Lots of beautiful women walking around in bikinis all day long.

Hmm, did I just describe Hawaii? I mean, except for the cost of living and being uncrowded.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 08:47 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Asheville NC or one of the mountain towns nearby.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 10:08 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Jeremiah70: >>I'm looking to do an East-West trip of the US, from new Orleans to LA, so let me know if anyone has any ideas for that, or thinks it is a terrible idea!