Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Arriving Montreal, leaving Albany. Best mode for in between?

Old Feb 25th, 2015, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My teen and I are arriving Montreal in late March for s long weekend, then on to Amherst MA by Tuesday and flying out ( of Albany NY ? ) by wednesday.
Ideally we would fly into Montreal, rent a car at end of weekend and then drive to Amherst then to airport.
BUT sounds like taking the car over the border is cost prohibitive. Any ideas? Fly or take train to albany or VT and then rent car? Flying in and out of albany may save on rental cost but adds 4 hours driving at beginning of trip. Not ideal after a cross-country flight. Maybe best anyhow. Thanks!
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 10:34 AM

Where are you from?

There is a company called Canadian Affair that rents to people from UK/Australia/South Africa and often does not have a one way fee.

Unfortunately, I think you are finding out the gaps in the public transport system in the US (in particular). From Montreal to Albany you could take the train. There is train service to near Amherst, but on a different line from the service that goes to Albany. There are buses, but that can be a long way to travel with potential for delays at the border (everyone on the bus has to clear immigrations/customs).

I think your best option would probably be to fly from Montreal to Bradley International Airport (CT) which is about an hour from Amherst. Then rent a car there for the US leg of your trip.
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 04:47 PM

Hi suz24,

I take the bus (Greyhound) every year from Montreal to Albany. It's not glamorous but nor is it the end of the world, about 5 hours of travel and with several bus options every day. These days, I find customs goes faster on the bus than it does on the train. Renting the car in Albany may be the easiest thing to avoid those drop-off fees.

Have a great trip! Daniel (in Montreal)
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 01:37 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> . . . and often does not have a one way fee.<<

There is when the drop off is in a <i>different country</i>.

I agree w/ Daniel -- wait til you are in the States to pick up your rental car.
Old Feb 27th, 2015, 03:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The Adirondack leaves Montreal at 10:30AM. If you can rent a car in Plattsburg NY at about 2PM, you can head to Amherst from there. The Amtrak fare from MTL to PLA is less than $25/adult if you buy soon enough.
Why can't you fly out of Massachusetts instead of Albany?