flight from Mandalay to Luang Prabang

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I would like to fly from Mandalay to Luang Prabang on February 17. Air Asia has a cheap flight to Don Muang Ariport in Bangkok. Other airlines seems to have flights out of the same airport to Luang Prabang for a reasonable cost. If necessary, we can stay at the hotel airport overnight. I am having a difficult time trying to coordinate this.
Has anyone else at this forum tried to fly from Mandalay to Lunag Prabang? Can anyone recommend an online site that is reliable or a travel agent in Bangkok that might be able to book the flights for us? The agent we are using in Myanmar does not book international flights. Thanks!

Patricia
Old Oct 29th, 2014, 06:40 PM

You can book these flights yourself online easily at the airlines' own website. The glitch you will run into is that Air Asia flies into Don Muang and Bangkok Air to Luang Prabang flies into/out of BKK. This means allowing a couple of hours to get from one airport to the other. What airline are you seeing that flies from Don Muang to Luang Prabang? I thought only budget airlines used that airport.

If you really need an agent, I can look up the email of an agent in Bangkok we used to use when it wasn't possible to book many flights online.

While Air Asia is cheap, you might wan to take a look at the Bangkok Air Discovery Pass. If you fly three legs with Bangkok Air you can get a great price. It would also be easier to make the connection if you are flying into/out of the same airport. Note that you have to book the Discovery Pass from your own country - you cannot do it in Thailand nor can a Thai agent book it for you.
Old Oct 30th, 2014, 01:02 AM

Your problem is connecting flights/times. TG (Thai) fly to BKK 5 times a week from Mandalay but the onward connection to LP is only 65 minutes so I would not risk it. Personally I would overnight in Yangon and get one of the early flights from there:-
PG 706/PG 941 RGN06:05 LPQ11:40
or
PG 705/PG 945 RGN10:30 LPQ16.30
All though Bangkok Air (Like Kathie,I can highly recommend them) through their website
http://www.bangkokair.com/eng
SS
Old Oct 30th, 2014, 05:48 AM

Bangkok Air is a luxury airline of sorts. You will be served a full meal, even if your flight is less than an hour long.