Search

Hotels in rome

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in rome

Been researching on trip advisor for several nights to find the right hotel in rome . I need either two rooms or some kind of family suite . I don't want an apartment . Travelling with husband and two teenage girls . My max for both rooms is 700 dollars / night so would have to be no more than around 350 per room per night . Reviews on trip advisor are discouraging . Seems like unless you spend at least 500 dollars /night per room there are always many negative comments - rooms too small, no ac , too noisy , worn interiors etc. I know that in rome rooms are small, city is noisy but when there are lots of comments like -would stay somewhere else or don't stay here etc Seems worrisome . Any suggestions . ? Anyone know the hotel artemide ? Got mostly decent reviews.
HELP!! Thanks
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 06:41 PM

Suites, superior suites and the hotel's apartment at the Hotel Portoghesi all take 4 people. I would think that one of those would be in your budget.

http://www.hotelportoghesiroma.it/

Hotel Artemide looks nice and gets great reviews. However, that isn't a location I would like.

Rome hotels are expensive. I think it best for me to adjust my expectations there. I choose location over a lot of other factors in Rome.

Also look at Hotel Nazionale a Montecitorio. I do think they have family rooms and the location is fabulous, as well as very safe as the Italian Parliament and government offices are right there. It is a bit upscale but not a bad value for what you get. Good reviews.

http://www.hotelnazionale.it/

I have used both the hotels for discerning clients and they have been very happy.
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 04:50 AM

There are several hotels in all price ranges that have family suites or serviced apartments. A serviced apartment has all the services of the hotel, including the use of their common areas.

The Hotel Campo dei Fiori has a number of serviced apartments, which they call their "dependance".

http://www.hotelcampodefiori.com/en/home.htm

The Hotel Mozart also has serviced apartments.

http://www.hotelmozart.com/en/camereElite.html

You can also find family suites using www.booking.com . You can enter your destination as "Rome centre city" to make sure you only get to see centrally located suites. You can also check off the type of lodging you want; "family suite" is one of the choices. You can then sort the list by guest rating. Be sure to read the guest reviews before making a final decision.

The guest ratings and guest reviews are more reliable on booking.com than on Tripadvisor, since they are solicited from people who have reserved the lodging through booking.com and have actually stayed there. Tripadvisor allows anyone to post a review, which can include the hotel owner, and also his biggest competitor. In fact, I tend to discount both the glowing reviews and the horrid reviews on Tripadvisor. Not only that, I've often seen reviews on Tripadvisor that were obviously meant to refer to a different hotel with a similar name.
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 10:52 AM

You have to look at reviews on tripadvisor carefully. To many americans almost all hotel rooms in europe are too small and many prefer brand new cheapy motels out on the highway to older places with character in the city centers.

Yes, in Rome most hotels are older, furnishing style is older and there will be street noise and small rooms. Those are givens unless you spend for a true deluxe hotel. Also, when I read reports about awful service I try to imagine the situation - a lot of people like to complain about service to show how important they are.

What would bother me are reports of lack of cleanliness and refusal to turn on the AC. Or an inconvenient location. Barring that I would accept that almost all properties have some complaints.

Remember, your budget is moderate - not business class or deluxe.
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 12:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No, all hotel rooms in Rome are NOT small; that is simply a rationalization people who refuse to pay for the bigger rooms love to use on TA to "justify" their behavior.

The Artemide comment above, which I respect, is the perfect example of the "review" problem. I don't mind that location at all since it is close to the Metro and within walking distance of sights. Does that mean I am correct and Tuscanlifeedit is wrong? Not at all IMO. It all depends on what YOU like and perhaps you need to sit down and even write down the factors which are the most important to you when you pick a hotel.

Discount, totally, those adjectives like small, rude, dirty, and so forth unless a LOT of people are saying the same thing.

Also, you might look at other review sites such as Booking.com on which the reviews may actually be more true to life and less apt to have been falsified.
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 12:38 PM

Another option where you can specify the number of rooms is www.airbnb.com - - personally I wouldn't book a place unless it has nice reviews from people who have stayed there, but if everybody says it is fine, you can read in great detail about exactly rooms/bedding/bath. First you request a place for 4 people, then go to a sub-menu and specify two (or more) rooms. The map search option they have tends to give you more and more places the more you zoom in (i.e., you see a handful of places when you first look at the map, then when you zoom, all of a sudden there are more places; zoom again, even more).
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 12:46 PM

Dukey, yes, that's why I said Hotel Artimede wasn't "a location I would like."

Lots of people would like it, though. I like to be close to a couple of my favorite spots in Rome, thus the places I recommended were hotels that I have personal experience with and whose locations I do like.

I wish the OP would come back and tell us what she has since looked at. I was also going to suggest the Hotel San Carlo where she could probably afford two separate rooms, and then have two bathrooms, which is a plus with teenage daughters.
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 02:47 AM

hi! You can try to see the Hotelginevra http://www.parkhotelginevra.com/ .It's clean ad nice but it's not in the center of rome. you need to use the metro which is about 800 metres.=)
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 04:14 AM

http://www.the-beehive.com/ Four of us did the rooms with the shared bath but think we were the ones sharing it as we saw no one else. There are sinks in each room. Very clean and you might be able to book a room with a bath. They were sold out when we booked. Great café and area.
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 04:26 AM

After having a allergy attack from a dusty "heritage" hotel in Europe( curtains probably never washed, old chairs etc) I sought out hotels that had wood floors, newer furnishing etc and in Rome, the Hotel Adriano fit the bill.http://www.hoteladriano.com/en/camere-hotel.html
The "Modern Décor" classic room was great. Rome is filled with ancient things but you don't have to sleep in them.
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 05:24 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The metro is not that useful for Rome as there are only a couple of lines and they skirt only part of the area. When you only have a few days, it pays to stay central and not waste your time traipsing back and forth to the center. Tuscan's suggestions are better locations (and more in the pedestrian area) than the Artemide (on a busy street) if you want to walk to places. The Ginevra is way out, almost to the ring road.
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 11:08 AM

Of course not all hotel rooms in europe are small. I have stayed in quite a few that were enormous.

But they have either been in deluxe properties or suites/superior rooms in upscale or business type properties. The average room in a modest/moderate property in a city center is going to be way smaller than the enormous rooms you find in US chain motels out on the highway - typically with 2 queen beds and a seating area or even all suites.

If one is used to the latter, almost all hotel rooms in europe seem small in comparison.
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 11:11 AM

Check-out the http://www.hotelkennedy.net/en they have 'Junior Suites', 2 connected bedrooms with a common bath.
It sleeps 4 and the photos show that "a" bed is 2 double beds pushed together each of which is a seperate bed.

As far as locations go for this and other hotels not in the historic center, I *think* the OP is more concerned with price and nice rooms?
A taxi ride to the sites and a taxi back to the hotel at the end of the day for 4 people isn't that costly.
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 01:04 PM

We liked the Alimandi hotels - the family has a 3 and a 4 star hotel right by the entrance to the Vatican museum. Good AC, quiet rooms and a wonderful breakfast. The 4 star has nicer furnishings.

http://www.alimandihotels.com

Click on the hotels listed to get the pages in English.