Search

transportation in Venice, Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transportation in Venice, Italy

Ciao,

I am confused about the best way to travel in Venice. My husband, myself and two children will be in Venice soon for 3 days. We need to get from the Marco Polo airport to an apartment in Fondamenta Bragadin.

Also, we will probably want a 3 day pass (water bus, taxi, vaporetto?) to tour around Venice.

Finally, we will need to get from the MSC cruise port back to Marco Polo airport.

Is there a company or system that would include all of this or ? I heard of the Alilaguna but don't quite understand their packages.

The cruise company offers a transfer to the airport for $22.00 USD per person. I don't know if that's good or bad. There are 4 of us.

These final details are confusing. We would appreciate any help you can give us.

Grazie.
Old Jul 7th, 2013, 08:56 AM

Not exactly sure what's confusing to you about the Alilaguna. The Alilaguna is about 15 euros each way per person each way for the trip from Marco Polo into Venice. I think it's about the same for the one way between the cruise terminal and the airport, so the $22 the cruise will charge is about the going rate.

The 3-day pass is for the vaporetto. It's probably a good idea if you plan to get around the city.

A couple of notes about the Alilaguna. You should check to see the closest stop to your apartment. The people renting the apartment to you should be able to tell you. Will they meet you at the stop? You could have a long-ish walk, so luggage is an issue.

I don't know your budget or inclination, but to get from the airport to the city, you might consider the more expensive water taxi. It's faster and more enjoyable. I think it will cost you about 90 euros, meaning you'll be spending 30 more euros than if you took the Alilgna. And the water taxi may be able to get you closer to your accommodations. You'll have to decide whether it's worth it.
Old Jul 7th, 2013, 08:58 AM

A vaporetto is a water bus. This is public transportation. Water taxis are a lot more money. Although for 4 people you may come out even; you'll have to check the price for water taxis from the airport. Just like a land taxi, the water taxi will take you to your destination (i.e., apartment).

You need to be aware that it's not a 3 day pass for the vaporetto. It's a a 72 hour pass which makes a difference as it ends 72 hours after you first use it.

Alilaguna - the airport to and from the cruise terminal is E27 round trip; E15 one way. This is public transportation so there is a dock at the airport and a dock in Venice.

http://www.alilaguna.it/en/tickets1/fares

Depending on where your apartment is located you can take the Alilaguna to Venice (the dock is a short distance from San Marco square) or the bus to Piazale Roma (bus depot) and then walk or take a vaporetto to your apartment.
Old Jul 7th, 2013, 09:00 AM

Here's some good information.

http://www.actv.it/en/welcometovenice
Old Jul 7th, 2013, 09:11 AM

You can take the bus to and from the airport - see http://www.atvo.it/?lang=en&area=23&menuid=35

I would pack a light bag for your basic needs and leave the bigger bags at the railway station in the deposito bagagli service - dragging bags all over Venice is most painful, even the bridges are really stairs.

While in Venice you’ll mostly walk, taking into account the S-shaped canal and the fact that there are only three bridges across, so you plot your course accordingly. Don’t follow the brownish-yellowish signs that herd everybody along the same route from the station to Rialto and then San Marco, it’s drudgery and takes you past too many Rolex and Gucchi shops - that’s not what Venice is about.

Find alternate routes, risk getting a little lost now and then (no worries, good fun) and you’ll make discoveries galore!

The vaporetto is an expensive proposition no matter how you get your tickets. Not to mention water taxis, they’ll send you broke in a hurry. Walking and crossing on the stand-up boats (traghetti) is the way to go.
Old Jul 7th, 2013, 10:28 AM

Vaporetto is water bus - and goes on a number of standard routes to major stops.

Water taxi is private and will pick you up wherever there is a dock and drop you at any dock (there are many smaller docks not used by vaporetti as well as many private docks for individual hotels or large houses. Water taxi can easily hold 4 to 6 people plus luggage (unless you have steamer trunks).

The key is the location of your hotel. We always get a hotel with private dock and take a water taxi from the airport or the Pza Roma (farthest you can take a car into Venice). But this is much more expensive than a vaporetto for 2 - not so much for 4 people and a lot of luggage (often people going on cruises bring a lot of luggage).

But only your hotel can tell you if they have a private dock or how long a walk (and over how many bridges) they are from the nearest vaporetto or other dock.