Need a little more info about the Proms

Old Apr 27th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a little more info about the Proms

I understand they are reasonably priced tickets for classical music. Is it all shown outside on the promenade? Or are there concerts inside Royal Albert Hall?

How do you get tickets?
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 10:22 AM

Here's the main web site with loads of information. The main program of concerts is at the Royal Albert Hall but there are also Proms in the Park and other venues.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/features/tickets

For several years we've entered the lottery for tickets to the Last Night at the Proms and two years ago we won. By "won" I mean we won the right to buy tickets at about £70 each. But, it was worth every pence!
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 10:24 AM

I've been there, as I love classical music, and a great festival like that in August is rare. Most music festivals are earlier in the year. The concerts are in various places, some are in Royal Albert Hall. I went there to hear Martha Argerich, I'm kind of a groupie of hers, I will travel far to see here.

Anyway, everything you need to know is on their website. I just bought my ticket online. I didn't think they'd have the schedule up yet, but it appears they do. http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 10:30 AM

The "promenade" bit relates to the fact that the cheapest tickets are for the standing areas in the arena and top gallery of the Albert Hall (but you have to queue for those on the day). But seats can also be reasonably inexpensive - if you don't delay booking for the most popular evenings. The programme for this year's just out, and booking opens on May 11.
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 05:17 PM

We got reasonably priced tickets for a concert in 2008, purchasing them before leaving the US by using the website. It was for our last evening of 2 weeks in London. We found our seats easily, in the packed, lovely hall--which was stifling hot. Not a breath of air stirring. Hotter and hotter as more people came in. Programs and any other available paper utilized as fans. We had a great view and the sound was terrific. But we did not enjoy sitting there with perspiration dripping. After about 45 minutes, we gave up and left. There were several people who sounded British also leaving and lodging complaints as they did.

So---unless there was something wrong with some sort of air system, I would think this might be a remote possibility. Not enough of one to prevent you from pursuing a ticket, I'd say, but be aware that if it's been a hot day, it may be unbearable inside. (It had been near 80 F I think that day). Probably a rare occurrence, but it was our experience.