Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Greece, Spain or Sicily (So. Italy) for Xmas 2013???

Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I would like to take a trip to Europe over Christmas 2013. We would have up to 3 weeks for travel, and we do like to take our time in places so we can "soak in" the culture of our location. We are in our late 40's/early 50's and have traveled abroad to Europe & Asia several times.

Initially we thought we'd go to Greece (never been), see Athens, some countryside, Crete and maybe Cyprus. But the economc situation there is a little worrying. (potential for crime, social unrest, etc).

We have been to Italy: Venice, Florence & Rome. But have not explored Southern Italy/Sicily.

We haven't been to Spain, but it's on our list. We would prefer to go somewhere with a mild climate - someplace that we wouldn't go during the summer because it would be too hot for us to enjoy. (we are from Washington State, so we are accustomed to cooler climes).

We enjoy museums, historical sites/ruins, dining, people watching, leisurely strolls, light hiking.

I would like input from my fellow, well-traveled Fodorites. Have you been to Spain, Greece or Southern Italy? What did you enjoy the most? What would you recommend?

Thank you!!
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 05:27 PM

We've been to Spain and Sicily. I recommend both highly. In fact, with 3 weeks, you might consider doing Sicily and Andalucia. Both should be fairly mild and 10 days in each should be a good amount of time.
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 09:24 PM

Having done all three countries particularly Cyprus this last Christmas holiday, I would remind you that with the Christmas holiday things are closed up during that period for sometimes a couple days. I love love Sicily but don't think that I would want to be there over Christmas as most of it would colder and damp along with it being very Catholic ;things would be shut and more family oriented.Sicily is absolutely fabulous in the spring and fall seasons so would encourage you to think about going then!I love Spain particularly Barcelona and that area but I would think that Spain being very Catholic would be shut up from the night of the 24th-26th for the holidays.

We did a two and half week trip to Cyrus this last December 2012 and found it to be great for seeing varied things (mountains,seaside,history,winemaking,etc. along with being inexpensive). Christmas Day and the day after,Boxing Day were the only days things were shut with the exceptions of a few restaurants.

Being from Chicago, our family likes some moderate sun,history,interesting food and culture for our Christmas vacations.Some of our other Christmas trips have been Morocco which being Muslim was great for the Christmas holidays and so much to see and do there. We also have did the Canary Islands two years ago seeing several of the islands over a 2 1/2 week period which provided us with great sunshine and lots to see and do.I would suggest Jordan and Egypt which was our Christmas trip four years ago but perhaps due to the unrest I would say not at this time. Good Luck!
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 09:31 PM
kja

> with 3 weeks, you might consider doing Sicily and Andalucia. Both should be fairly mild and 10 days in each should be a good amount of time

I respectfully disagree! IMHO, Sicily warrants 2 - 3 weeks. Andalucia could work for you. I haven't been to Greece yet.
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 01:03 AM

I just wanted to add that you don't need to worry about the economic situation from a crime or social unrest perspective in Greece. Yes, there may be protests in the main square in Athens but that is easily avoided. You may have to deal with a strike, but over Xmas that is unlikely. Plus they are advertised in advance so you would have time to deal with it.
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 04:41 AM

I totally agree with the post above. We visit Greece often, most recently last June right before the elections. The only problem we experienced was shorter hours at some tourist sites/museums due to budget cuts. However, there's no doubt that Greece is at its best in the spring/summer months, when you could combine Athens with trips to the islands.