Search

Booster seats for 7 and 9 year old in France

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Booster seats for 7 and 9 year old in France

Hi everyone,
Here in California my 7 year old is required to be in a booster (we use a backless version), and my 9 year old is not required to because she is about 80 pounds and 140 cm tall.

So in planning our trip and car rental logistics, I realized the laws have changed in the last 5 years about booster seats and that my 9 year old---who will actually turn 10 during our trip---will technically be required to be in a booster.

To make matters worse, in googling which booster seat models are certified for the EU and what is required, I've come upon the many youtube videos of the dangers of backless models.

So now I've gone from being willing to schlep the one small backless booster to thinking we should err on the safe side and bring 1 full back booster for the smaller child and 1 backless booster for the 9---almost 10---year old.

My husband thinks I'm nuts and doesn't want to carry more than 1 backless booster.

What would you do?
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 07:14 PM

Check with your car rental company to see what they suggest. They may offer what you need to comply with the law.
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 07:15 PM

As I said in response to an earlier post, CALL Auto Europe and discuss this. You will pay extra. Your 9-year-old will not be required to be in a booster seat. Please, you are getting obsessive. There's nothing about renting a car in Europe that should cause anxiety.
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 09:24 PM

I can't imagine your 10 yr old will need a booster seat. I would not bring one for him/her myself , I would check on requirements for younger child, but I think the backless will be fine. I would not bring mine though, if it is required by law I imagine reputable rental agencies would have them to rent . I would ask.
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 10:33 PM

http://www.preventionroutiere.asso.f...position%29/1A partir de 3/4 ans

It says that children older than 3-4, once they reach 15 kilos, and UP TO 10 YEARS old should have a booster (rehausseur)

10 year olds who are not between 1m35 and 1m50 should still have a booster seat in case they slide under the belt. Otherwise they are fine.

They strongly recommend a booster with a back.

I would certainly talk to your rental company rather than bringing one.

Groupes 2 et 3 : entre 15 et 36 kg (à partir de 3/4 ans jusqu’à 10 ans)

Lorsqu'il dépasse 15 kg, et jusqu'à ses 10 ans environ, installez votre enfant dans un rehausseur, qui permet d'utiliser dans de bonnes conditions la ceinture adulte. Quand votre enfant aura atteint une taille comprise entre 1,35m et 1,50m, il pourra s’attacher comme les grands, mais pas avant, même s’il a 10 ans révolus.

Le rehausseur à dosseret. Il assure un bon maintien du buste et permet, grâce à un passant, de guider la ceinture sur l’épaule de l’enfant. Il est adapté jusqu’à l'âge de 6 ou 7 ans, voire plus si le dosseret est réglable et amovible.
Le rehausseur sans dosseret. Ses accoudoirs maintiennent la sangle abdominale. Avant d’utiliser ce rehausseur (notamment dans le cas d’un rehausseur à dosseret amovible), vérifiez que la ceinture est bien positionnée sur l’épaule et non sur le cou de votre enfant. Sinon, c’est qu’il est encore trop petit.

Il est fortement recommandé d’utiliser un rehausseur avec dosseret qui assure un bon maintien du buste (notamment en cas d’endormissement) et guide la ceinture sur l’épaule. Le rehausseur sans dosseret est adapté à votre enfant dès lors que la ceinture de sécurité passe sur son épaule et non sur son cou.
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 12:41 AM

You can hire them from your car hire company. They will meet EU requirements, which your own may not. You need to arrange this with them asap.

My six-year old grandson uses a backless booster in my car, though he has a full seat in his parents car.
We are hiring seats for them from the car hire company when we take the grandchildren to the Canaries next month.
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 12:53 AM

It may actually be cheaper to just buy them upon your arrival.
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 05:50 AM

Yes - they are generally available in supermarkets. It's just a question of getting to the place of purchase with kids unsecured. If you are in France for some time before starting to drive, buying is an option. If you rent the car when you get off the plane, less so