Peru/Macchu Picchu May or June?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the early stages of planning an 8-10 day trip to Peru including visiting Macchu Picchu. LAN is having a great sale right now and I'd love to take advantage of it. We can travel any time in May and the first couple weeks of June, is there a better time during this time to visit? We do not plan to hike the Inca Trail. As always any advice is appreciated!
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 07:15 AM

We hiked the trail in January. Had great weather. Our guide kept saying come back in June. We would say but it is nice now. He would say come in June.

I think he would say June.
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 12:36 PM

I say May. June starts to get very busy as the high season kicks in.
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 02:12 PM

May and June are comparable in terms of number of people in Machu Picchu. If the Inca Trail is not a concern, another factor you may or may not want to consider when organizing your trip to Peru is the cultural festivals in Cusco and the Sacred Valley.

May:
-in Cusco, there is the Corpus Christi festival, among the most important religious celebrations in Cusco.
-in Ollantaytambo (original Inca city) there is the festival of Señor de Choquekillca. dance groups put on fabulous costumes and proceed around the small plaza.

June:
-in Cusco, you may run into processions at almost anytime - the city is celebrating it's "fiestas juninas" and institutions go to parade on the Plaza de Armas.

May is the start of the high season and June is definitely the high season so in either case you will want to book your hotels, etc, well in advance.
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 10:38 AM

The first two weeks in May are less busy than the latter half of May and June. Pretty good weather (still some chance of rain). If you don't care as much about crowds and want to ensure less chance of rain, then as late into June as the fare sale lasts.