Disney Customer Service

Search

Disney Customer Service

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disney Customer Service

Does anyone have any issues with Disney's resort reservation / service?

First of all, I had to call in to Disney's resort reservation phone number for a reservation that was booked through an on-line hotel booking web site. First thing that strikes me was that the Disney number is not a toll free number so I am calling on my own dime. I have not seen any hotel reservation system (phone lines) that is not toll free, even for second rated cheapo motel chains. It came across as "cheap". Here is a question: Does Disney has a toll free custoemr service or reservation phone number? All I can find is 4079396244.

I was put through their automatic voice system and navigate to get to the "right" area. After that, I was put on hold for more than 12 minutes before a live agent came on. She was polite enough but not too helpful as she cannot help me with any of my request at all. She can't even direct me to anyone within the Disney's system to help me but politely told me to call my travel agent, and "have a magical day".

The issue was that we booked a reservation for their new resort and we wanted to add a "meal plan" and "park hopper tickets". (I didn't, my son sugegsted it so I'll ahve a go at it.)

Here is the tricky part, Disney cannot add their own "dining plan" and their "Park Pass" to your reservation made through a travel agent, even they have verified that it is you, and you want to pay them up front.

Appranetly, you have do it all through your travel agent. So, if you book your hotel on an on-line booking web site (Disney's would classified them as a travel agent, which is correct), you are out of luck as there is no option to add those "features" when you book your room on-line, unlike a traditional travel agent.

I called the customer service number for the on-line site through their toll free number, they were apologetic that they only book hotels but not "packages" and suggested that I call Disney direct and add those to the reservation, which was what I tried to do to begin with.

As it stands right now, we are going to skip the meal plan, eat outside their system, meaning we are spending less money at Disney. We will buy the park pass when we get there (or through teh local AAA) and that's about it. It is frustrating that it is such a simple request (in my mind at least) and yet they made it so complicated and they can't do it. I was on the phone with them for about 15 minutes, in addition to thr 12+ minutes of hold time. Putting customer on hold for 12 minutes is not good customer service, and not a toll free number to boot.

The only surprise is that I have yet heard people complaint that Disney doesn't have a toll free number and put up with it. Any normal hotel chain (or any other business for that matter) will not survive without a toll free line. It is part of the cost of doing business. But yet no one seems to care since it is Disney and everyone put up with it.

The telephone wait time (on hold) is terrible, and their policy is so restrictive that they won't let you spend more money with them. I guess they have the market conrned and didn't care.

Am I in the minority here that I feel their service is less than stellar?
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 01:29 PM

Book thru a middleman and then you expect the main man to just wave their magical wand to your request(usually it isn't any less expensive and if you call most places will match a middleman anyway)? While it does seem like a simple request they book those as packages, its not something you can just add on.

I have had problems before myself when using an online booking system and then changing or wanting something changed. Expedia changed my plane from United to Delta once and I had a boarding pass, but didn't think about a receipt. Guess what, I missed my plane and spent the night in Anchorage(there are no taxis in Anchorage at the airport at midnight-when most flights leave).

I have always wondered about them not having a toll free #. Hasn't stopped me from going to World four times, Land twice, and cruise once. I find their service to be outstanding once I'm there.

FWIW, I would never do the dining plan anyway. I like to eat what, when, where I want. I may want an aptz, I may want just dessert, etc.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 01:34 PM

If you want to book all of those other things then I think you have to book it all through Disney. It's not Disney's fault that the service you used doesn't handle these other items. And naturally Disney wants to be sure they have the extras for the people that do book with them directly.

Unless there is a rally huge savings we always book directly with the hotel or resort - for just this reason.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 03:57 PM

Eschew - hopefully, your lesson is learned.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 06:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Figure it out: Disney is in business , just like the airlines which charge for everything possible, to make money. I know the feeling about their non-toll-free-number and there are a LOT of people who DO take the dining plan out there.

Also, do you really really think there is any other organization, once you GET there, which is as customer-friendly as Disney? If you do, then please tell us what it is.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 07:04 PM

We had a great experience dealing with Disney. I researched the packages on line and then called with my questions. No pressure sales tactics, just info. I called back later to add on the meal plan. We found it to be extremely economical, especially with two hungry teen boys. No complaints here.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 10:38 PM

So, you used Expedia or Orbitz to save money on the room. But then you could not buy the upgrades that you would get with a true travel agent or buying directly. With Orbitz, they do have an 800 number and the operator I talked to was quite competent. Have you tried calling?

For those going to Disneyland, (I can't speak to World) a better way to save on hotel costs is to select a "Good Neighbor Hotel" which will give you early access to the parks at least one day of your stay. Book directly with the hotel, not an online site; it is easier to modify your reservation if you reserve with the hotel directly.
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 12:13 AM

I have experienced that if a reservation for anything (cruise, tour) is made thru a travel agent, it cannot be modified by anyone other than that travel agent - so this is not unique to Disney.

I think you have a legitimate complaint about the wait time on the phone. Ambivalent about the non-tollfree number, since the majority of people have US calls as part of their cell or landline package.