Search

Sorrento-Bay or piazza view?Palazzo Junizza,Maison Tofani,La Favorita

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2012, 10:11 AM
jgg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorrento-Bay or piazza view?Palazzo Junizza,Maison Tofani,La Favorita

We will be staying in Sorrento Thurs - Mon. of Easter week. Looking at hotels there are two hotels I like, Maison Tofani and Palazo Junizza but they are both located in the center of town, with no views of the bay. I am also looking at Hotel Favorita which does have views of the bay. Even if I don't get a sea view room the common spaces do have views.

When traveling I always like to be centrally located, easy to walk to restaurants, shops, etc. but I'm wondering if staying on the Bay of Naples, if I shouldn't stay in a hotel that has a view - will we be missing something or will I get to see a lot of vistas when around town and traveling to other places? Due to the time of year we won't be spending anytime on the beach, so easy access to beach is not important.

Right now, probably leaning towards Palazzo Junizza overlooking Piazza Tasso (most reviews say noise is not a problem), but no bay views. Thoughts? Thanks!
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 10:44 AM

I say go for the hotel with the view. Sorrento is not that big and is easy to get around in.
We were just there last month and stayed in Sant Agnello which is actually the town next door but really they just blend into one another, and it was an easy 20 minute walk into Sorrento.

We had a room with a view and it was spectacular and wonderful to open the shutters each morning and see the Bay of Naples and Mt.Vesuvious. One morning I opened the shutters and there were two large schooners anchored there. Every night the sunset was incredible.

I wouldn't choose a hotel overlooking Piazza Tasso when I could have a view like that.
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 02:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think Piazza Tasso looks more like an extra-wide street than a traditional piazza, so I'd pick the water view in a heartbeat.

http://www.sorrentoweb.com/uk/ptasso/P._Tasso.jpg

However, you'd get better views of the bay from the Hotel Tramontano than the Favorita.

http://www.hoteltramontano.com
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 03:47 PM

The bay is beautiful! Get the best view you can get. I've stayed at six different hotels in the area - three with views, three without. Now, would not stay in one without a great view if at all possible. This is the place I would splurge on a hotel.

The area is small. There are buses, shuttles and taxis, so you don't need to be in the center of town. Agree with Jean, Piazza Tasso is nothing to look at.
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 04:01 PM

Definitely go for a view of the bay - all else being equal.

We always have bay balcony rooms - but with the hotel property adjacent to the main town square when we stay in Sorrento. Piazza view is a whole lot of not much.
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 08:18 PM

Hi

Yep definitely a hotel with the view of the bay. The piazza is nothing special. Better still you really need to try getting a room with a view. Views from common areas is not nearly as nice (intimacy, privacy etc.). Have a look at the 4* Hotel Carlton - http://www.hotelcarltonsorrento.com. First week in April the website shows a Double Room Seaview for an average of € 130 including breakfast. That's pretty good....
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 02:39 AM

Greetings. I just came back from a stay at a hotel with a view of the bay and Vesuvius. Not from my room, but from the terrace, having a martini, and drinking in the incredible sight. There is nothing quite like it - you'll feel like you are in a movie!