Grocery Shopping on Kauai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH & I will be staying on Kauai in September for a week. We have rented a condo in the Poipu Beach area and would like to stock it with breakfast items and snacks for our stay.

I would like advice for good places to purchase fresh fruit, fresh squeezed juices, breakfast breads/pastries, specialty items to snack on, etc.

Any advice you have for us is welcome.
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 09:25 PM

there is a new natural foods type market at the new shopping center at the "round about" in poipu. Fresh foods, fish, even a very small little restaurant inside. can't remember the name of it but you cant miss it.
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 09:30 PM

Also the poipu beach shopping center (different than the one mentioned above)across from the Kiahuna Plantation has either an ABC store or a Whalers store for snacks and light groceries and there are a couple of larger markets in Koloa town.
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 10:02 PM

just remembered the name of the natural food storeapaya's Natural Foods and Cafe (Kauai Village Shopping Center)
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 03:55 AM

There is a WalMart not too far from the airport and several grocery stores in Kapaa. The island isn't so big that you can't take a short road trip to find one. I think when we were there (Kauai) we just did a Google search.
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 08:05 AM

Here's a link to the "Sunshine" Farmer's Markets which are fun, in addition to being places to buy produce direct-from-the growers from the back of their trucks. Many of the vendors offer organically grown produce. The prices aren't cheap, but the produce is usually fantastic and often-times, picked the same day you buy it.

http://www.kauai.com/kauai-farmers-markets

For staples: I agree -- WalMart in Lihue.

I always start with a Costco run, but I typically stay at least four weeks. Don't know if you're a member, but it might not be worth it for one week's worth of supplies because some things are sold only in bulk.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 06:50 AM

We really like Foodland - they have good prices and hand out their preferred cards to anyone who doesn't have a card. Their fruit is super fresh and local, have a great bakery, tropical flavored yogurts that you can't get on mainland. We use ABC Stores for snacks, try to eat at food trucks (look for lines of locals) and out of the way restaurants for lunch.

Aloha!
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 08:36 AM

Don't bother with Walmart for food. They don't have any fresh foods except dairy. Big Save on Koloa Rd has a nice selection. There is also a fruit and vegetable stand that doesn't have a name and I can't remember the road but someone should be able to point you to it.