Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Moab to Tuba City straight drive-with stop in monument valley?

Old Jul 24th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello we are a family of four doing an 11 day circle from Las Vegas through Zion, Bryce, Arches, Tuba City, to GC Southern Rim, and back to Vegas. I mapped it all out and have booked all the accomodations. And now I see a weakness in our itinerary is the day we have to drive from Moab to Tuba City- looks like quite a long driving day. I cannot see being out there and not stopping at Monument Valley. So my questions are two-fold:
1. Can we see much of Monument valley in an hour or two
2. is there any place near monument valley for a decent lunch?

Thanks!
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 07:29 PM

If you skip MV then your drive is less than 4.5 hours. Add 30 minutes if you go via Monument Valley. Add 1 hour for lunch. So your driving is 5.5 or 6 hours, depending on which way you go (maybe less).

If you leave at 10AM you could get to Tuba City at 2:30 and spend 3.5 hours seeing the sites of Tuba City and then it would be 6PM

Or, leave at 10AM, spend 3 hours at MV, and arrive in Tuba City at 6PM.

The only question I would have is: should we stop at Natural Bridges in addition to, or instead of, Monument Valley?
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 07:33 PM

p.s. I don't know what they answer to either of your questions is. I am interested in an answer to your first question (our decent lunch will be in a cooler in the trunk).
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 09:04 PM

Monument valley can be long or fairly short. As with most of the other places I suppose the more time you spend there the more you get out of it. Our first visit we spent about two hours between looking from the view point, checking out the gift shop and deciding we would drive ourselves around the valley loop. I wasn't all that impressed with the valley loop, just the same thing from a different direction.

So the next time we went we just took a look from the viewpoint and called it good.

I believe the valley tours are about two hours so if you wanted to take one of those you'd need the time. The backcountry tours are supposed to be better, but I've never had the money to pay for them and with a family of four it would add up. Can't say if it would be worth it.

So I guess my answer to your first question is Yes, there is much you can see at MV in less than an hour and a quick stop imo would be worth it. Then if you decide to spend the extra time with a tour you could make that decision right there.

Second question. Define decent I'm with mrwunrfl. We have a cooler and there is a picnic table by the viewpoint. It would make for a great picnic spot (as long as the wind isn't blowing).

Third, to give you my opinion about whether to do Natural Bridges or MV I'd probably do the 1/2 tour of Monument Valley. Other places you might want to consider stopping along the way (at least in Utah, can't give much info about the Arizona/NM part). Edge of the Cedars in Blanding is a great little museum. Twin Rocks Trading post in Bluff and San Juan Trading Post in Mexican Hat, both have some beautiful buys. The Bluff historic fort has some interesting stories about the pioneers who first came into the area.
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 04:38 AM

IMO - Monument Valley is an incredible sight to behold - even if you just drive in and have lunch/a picnic - and drive around a bit - which I heartily recommend.

Getting up close and personal with the Monuments gives you a better appreciation of their size and magnificence. Not for nothing was this considered sacred ground by the Native Americans.

And our one hour tour of the National Bridges Monument was fun. The short - 10 minute or so video in the visitor's center is very informative - as is driving the loop to look at the brides. Since we were well into the 2nd half of a long driving day, we only walked out a little and took pics, but it's also a great place.

If you allocate the extra couple hours - I think you will be glad you did.