Cruz del Sur Bus Tickets - Seat question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm buying tickets for our bus transfers. We're going with Cruz del Sur for most of them (any issues there?).

When I get to the seat choices, it says:

Tarifa Insuperable
Asientos : 18 - 28 - 29 - 30 - 32 - 33 - 38 - 39

Tarifa De Ocasión
Asientos : 23 - 24 - 25

If I click on one of those seat numbers, the price is less than it should be. Is this because those seats are bad? (e.g. next to the bathroom, less leg room, etc)

Any experience with buying one of those seats? Or general info on the Cruz del Sur buses which might help?

Thanks!
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 12:41 AM

We used Cruz del Sur several times during our time in South America. We always bought tickets at the stations and so were able to choose our seat there and then. Generally there was no real difference between the seats even those close to the bathroom were not so close as to cause a problem. I would definitely pay the extra to go ejecutivo/full cama (or whatever CdS call 1st class (almost always on the lower deck. Definitely avoid seats on the top deck if prone to motion sickness and especially those right at the front.

I may be wrong but I would guess that the difference in prices is down to a system error or maybe VAT?
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 02:29 AM

Go on them a fair amount. Get the downstairs VIP seats biggest best less theft risk not lurchy like the upstairs cheap seats where all the thieves hang.ALWAYS worth the small cost difference for me. If you elect the upstairs put NOTHING in the overheads keep it under your legs in your seat have seen sveral clueless newbies lose expensvie cameras ellectronics from overheads. Gangs grab and run off the bus personel do nothing. So be careful but a nice ride. Even
won the bingo game when there last won free prizes including my ticket so my last ride with them was free.

Happy Trails!
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 10:49 PM

Well qwovadis, you avoid all of these ruthless thieves on these buses AND you win prizes - I guess you are the luckiest man in the world!! .

In the interests of providing a balanced view to any "clueless newbies" out there qwv words not mine!), travel on buses in South America is relatively safe. In reality, theft is probably no more likely than in most developed countries. The simple precautions apply:
- Do not leave valuables in sight or in overhead compartments
- keep all cash, cards etc. in zipped pockets on your person
- Do not flash expensive jewellery, cameras etc. around (better still leave at home)
- Get off the bus at any stop to make sure your hold luggage is not removed (either deliberately or inadvertently)
- on embarkation wait by the luggage hold until it is closed to make sure your luggage is safely aboard
- If, by some remote chance the bus is boarded by said gangs of thieves then give them what they ask without argument - this is not the time for bravado - or even bravery!

The above applies to long distance buses. Different rules apply on local buses around towns etc. where a tourist is often regarded as a prime target for pickpockets - Cusco is renowned for this! (mind you teh taxi drivers there should also be viewed with extreme caution if hailing in the street or at the airport