Search

Rome

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome

Going to Rome for 12 hrs off cruise ship...like to do site on our own ...do you recommend and if so how would you recommend us to visit each impt site ...
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 02:18 PM

Hi

Cruise ships dock at Civitavecchia so you'll need to find transport into the historical centre. Several posts about how to do this - use the Search facility in this forum. Otherwise the cruise ship will provide transfers but this may not be cheap. I suggest you provide a list of what you'd like to see and do. Given the limited amount of time I suggest booking a tour for St.Peter's Basilica and the Vatican Museum - http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do. This will help you to queue jump. Free sites are the Roman Forum, Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon. You can do this easily yourself. I hope you've got plenty of energy
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 02:37 PM

Here are a couple of websites you might like to take a look at.
http://www.tomsportguides.com/ - scroll down until you find the Rome one and it opens a PDF with tons of info.

http://www.roninrome.com/sites-and-a...y-for-cruisers - this one we are going at attempt ourselves next year.

Good luck with your planning.
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 03:02 PM

EACH important site? Won't happen in 12 hours. Rome is one of the world's great cities and you're not even going to scratch the surface, even if you have your trackies on and bolt from one place to the next.

That said, Maudie's second link above is pretty good even though it underestimates walking times a bit (you'll need to do NYC rush hour walking to hit most of those time estimates).
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 03:23 PM

GR8 links Maudie. Thanks.
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 05:47 PM

Well if you have 12 h ours off the ship you have about 9 hours in rome. And which hours are they. You really can;t do both ancient rome and the Vatican in one day - except as drive buys. Do you want to see anything in depth - and if so, which is it?

Then people can make specific recos.
Old Nov 16th, 2011, 12:42 AM

No worries, I think Tom's Port Guides is a fantastic site. A BIG thank you to him for providing so much information.