Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Spring Training 2012 - Best pool in Scottsdale? Closest place to camp?

Old Nov 4th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I am planning a spring training trip for a week or so next March-April 2012. I plan on taking a couple days to drive down camping along the way.
I am not a rich man and I hate cheap hotels and rarely sleep in them. Is there anywhere to camp in the Phoenix area? Preferably within Scottsdale or close to it?
Also for the last few days I don't mind splurging on a real nice place if it is worth it. Can someone recommend a nice place (But not over priced. Expensive is fine if it is worth it. Over priced is not) hopefully in Scottsdale with a an awesome pool?

Cheers,
CB
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 12:29 PM

I've been to spring training several times, and to Phoenix/Scottsdale many times 3 or 4 times. There are two things I can say with certainty - 1) hotels are "overpriced" during spring training, and 2) it's better to stay in walking distance of the ballpark (if you're going to one in particular) as traffic in and out can be awful.

That said, the pools at the Phoenician,Hyatt Gainey Ranch Camelback, Renaissance at the Borgata, the Marriott in Desert Ridge, Scottsdale Princess are all great. So are most of the other resort hotels.
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 05:11 PM

No doubt there must be something closer but Lost Dutchman State Park would be an OK place to camp, a very pleasant scenic area at the base of the Superstition Mountains ... http://azstateparks.com/parks/LODU/index.html ... this is 33 miles, 40 minutes per Mapquest from downtown Scottsdale. If you are in an RV or pulling a trailer then there are a lot of seasonal parks in Mesa etc but these tend to push longer stays.

Maybe some tent camping places near Cave Creek, dunno that area that well. This will be much closer to Scottsdale.

March is the height of the tourist season (great weather, spring training) so hotel rates are about as high as they get all year. If the economy is still weak you *might* find a last minute deal on Priceline or something similar, even for one of the big name pricey resorts.
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 06:32 AM

When the Indian Bend Wash in Scottsdale was first built, there was supposed to be a camping area. I don't think it was ever implemented.

McDowell Mtn park would be closer than Lost Dutchman
www.maricopa.gov/parks/mcdowell/camping.aspx
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 04:26 PM

We often stayed at McDowell Mtn when we went to spring training. It has great scenery and all the lights of Phoenix spread out below you at night. It is part of the Maricopa county parks system. If you are interested in another park, check out the Maicopa county parks. White Tank Mountains and
lake Pleasant are good for the west side ballparks and are county parks as well. Be aware that they are busy in March so I would recommend reservations.