Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flight: US to Montreal via Toronto - Customs/Immigration question(s)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little off topic, but hoping there are some wise travelers who can give me some advice. We're heading to upstate NY over U.S. Thanksgiving weekend. Usually fly into Burlington, VT but noticed that Air Canada has fabulously priced/scheduled flights to Montreal, connecting through Toronto. Once into Montreal, we'd rent a car, cross the border into the U.S. We'd do this round trip. I've been told that in Toronto we'll have to deplane and pass through customs/immigration, then check in again for our connecting flight. Is it fairly streamlined or a total pain? (Do we have to be rescreened and go to another terminal, that sort of thing) On the return flight, can we go straight through to our U.S. destination before having to do customs (no preclearance in Toronto?)

The Canada flights will save us 2.5 hours flight/connecting time each way, but with Customs/Immigration at the airport and vehicle border entry, is it worth the hassle?

Thanks for any responses!
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 04:53 PM

Smiley, I can't ansewr all your questions. But there is one I'm pretty sure I know the answer to.
When you are going home, you will not be waiting until you land in the US to go through US immigration. All flights leaving Toronto for the US will have to go through US immigration in Toronto. It't the biggest pain of all. On more than one occassion it has taken me over an hour to go through immigration, with people all around me worried they will miss their flights. IT's the reason I avoid flying out of Toronto to any US destination. I fly out of Buffalo. In your case , you may go through US immigration in Montreal.
Good luck with your plans
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 05:36 PM

In Toronto Air Canada only uses Terminal 1 so no terminal change is involved. Since you are entering Canada in Toronto you must clear Canadian formalities in Toronto. This involves claiming any checked bags handing in your customs form and then putting your bags on a belt to go to the Montreal flight. Living near Toronto I have never done this but it is routine for Canadians who use smaller airports and travel internationally. I asume you cannot fly directly to Montreal.

My experience clearing US formalities in Toronto is not bad but it depends on when you do it. The good thing is when you get home it's like arriving on domestic flight.

Search on "border wait time" and you should get some idea of how long the wait times are at all the crossings.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 01:39 AM

Customs in Toronto has always been smooth for me...

1 terminal no worries

wait times at border crossings might be an issue

google for wait times try to go off peak

to a low traffic crossing...