Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

CDG to Pau ridicuosly expensive end of Sept 2011 - Why?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on traveling to the Pyreness at the end of Septemember. I checked Air France and a one way flight is over $400.

I don't remember seeing those fares last month. What is going on Sept 23 that makes this itinerary suddendly have a price increase of $300?

There are some flights out of Orly but for not much less.

Suggestion please!
I am not interested in taking a train for 6 hours after flying all night.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 08:51 AM

<i>What is going on Sept 23</i>

Is Pau the closest airport to Lourdes? Is there some religious high holiday that would increase the pilgrimages to Lourdes?

You could spend the night in an inexpensive hotel and take the train the next day; or just sleep during your 6 hour train ride. Your day is lost anyway because of jet lag, might as well use it up going to your final destination.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 08:52 AM

Aren't one-way flights normally more than round trip flights? Did you try looking at round trip fares?

How about the train?
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 08:58 AM

I think Air France is about the only airline that flies that route. about 280-300 euro is about right.

I have a hard time believing that flight was ever US$100, I suspect what you are finding is because you are booking the flight separately as a one-way, rather than an add-on fare to your first flight. AF generally has fares of around $100 to add a segment to a flight to CDG (from the US) in my experience. In other words, if you booked IAD-PAU it would only cost a little more (if at all) compared to booking IAD-CDG (that's just one example as that's the airport I usually fly out of).

okay, I just checked JFK to CDG vs. JFK to Pau on Air France, and the difference was only about $100. So you need to fly Air France or some partner, it appears, to get that as an add-on.

There are no budget airlines on that route.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 09:00 AM

Tarbes is closer to Lourdes than Pau, but if it's a religious pilgrimage event that too, would be pretty booked. You might also want to try Toulouse -- although then you'd still need to travel to reach Pau.