4 days in the Berkshires?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After changing destinations several times for an October vacation, I think we've finally settled on the Berkshires. We're first traveling to the Burlington VT area to visit family over the Columbus Day weekend, then the plan is to head to Lenox, arriving Tuesday noon-ish and leaving Saturday for the drive back to Virginia.

Is this too much time in the Berkshires? So far, we're planning on the Norman Rockwell museum, the Mount and the Shaker Village. We're not big outdoors people, so no hiking, etc. Mass MoCA is a possibility, but we generally don't care for contemporary art at all.

We could make the drive back in either one or two days, so I could move some time to another destination, but can't think of where. It needs to be one the way home, and we've done Newport, New Haven, and Mystic. We spent a few days in the Hudson Valley a few years ago, so I don't know if that would be enough of a draw.
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 06:50 AM

You could include the Clark Institute in Williamstown (which has a nice collection, including some good Impressionist art and some lovely Homers) and Chesterwood for additional museums. There are a number of nice historic homes, like Naumkeag which I think is even better than the Mount. There are a lot of antique stores around the area, and some interesting shopping in Great Barrington.

So I think you could probably fill out your time in the Berkshires if these things interested you.

Not sure what you did in the Hudson valley, or where. There is quite a lot to see, particularly if you like historic houses, or art from the Hudson River school. Have you been to Olana? Or the Hudson River Musuem? Sleepy Hollow? the Culinary Institute?
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 07:16 AM

You can easily spend 3 1/2 days in the Berkshires! I'll second the recommendation for the Clark, and add the Williams College Museum of Art while you are in Williamstown. Check out Mezze for dinner. Also, in Oct. there will be cultural activities (theater, music, dance, lectures) at Williams College (www.williams.edu). And there is Shakespeare and Co. in Lenox (www.shakespear.org)

I think MassMoCA is great, but if you don't like contemporary art, skip it.

You said no hiking, but you can drive up Mt. Greylock for the views.

If you haven't looked at it already here a link for more info:
www.berkshires.org
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 09:21 AM
yk

I'll third the suggestion for the Clark in Williamstown. The current Pisarro exhibition has gotten great reviews - though not sure if it'll still be on after Columbus Day.

There are plenty of other attractions in Berkshires as mentioned above, but be sure to check they are open after Columbus day... many have only seasonal openings.

We love Naumkeag http://www.thetrustees.org/places-to...umkeag.html#t4 but website says it closes after Columbus Day.

Chesterwood also will be closed after Oct 11
http://chesterwood.org/visit/

On our next visit, we plan to visit Frelinghuysen Morris House, but it also closes after Columbus Day
http://www.frelinghuysen.org/

If it's possible, you may want to plan to visit the Berkshires BEFORE Columbus Day.
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 11:51 AM

The Frelinghuysen Morris house is great, and it is (a) in Lenox right behind Tanglewood and (b) completely different from the other historic houses in that it is modern.

Melville's house, which is nominally in Pittsfield, is a charming house, not often mentioned here, with excellent docents doing the tours.

Rouge, in West Stockbridge, literally over the hill from Lenox, is a favorite of a knowledgeable friend. I love a leisurely breakfast at the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge.
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 02:33 PM

My travel experience in the Berkshires is not exhaustive, but I'm definitely thinking four days would work well here, specifically one day each for attractions in and around Stockbridge, Lenox, Pittsfield, and Williamstown. I have been to Arrowhead, Mass MoCA, the Berkshire Museum, Chesterwood, and Hancock Shaker Village, and heartily recommend all of them -- depending on your interests.

As has been suggested above, check to see how late into October the sights you want to experience stay open -- some do close on Columbus Day.
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 04:23 PM

Definitely drive up greylock, and have dinner at Bascomb lodge at the top.