Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Shortest, Prettiest way to Amalfi from Rome airport

Old Jul 9th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for the shortest and prettiest way to get to Positano from Rome airport. I would throw in the 'easiest' way as a third consideration. I've read a lot of posts but most seem to focus on the cheapest way to get there. We have limited time and are trying to maximize the experience, so spending a little more luckily isn't an issue. To some extent I just want to 'get there' but I'd also like a good experience.

The options I've narrowed down to are:
1. Private driver all the way - 3.5 hours-ish?
2. Train to Naples (1 hour 10 minutes if I'm reading the schedule right), then a driver (1-1.5 hours)
3. Train to Salerno (2.5 hours), then a ferry (70 minutes?)

A driver all the way seems comparable in time to the Naples train then driver. Does the convenience justify what seems to be about double the cost? We've traveled a lot so the train option doesn't seem too bad?

The Salerno option is interesting to me because I love being on the water and I'm curious if the views are worth the extra time? My husband however loves the idea of whipping around curvy roads... And we will be going over to Capri for a few nights later in the trip by boat.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 06:24 AM
J62

The train from Rome Termini to Naples is 1hr 10min. You have to add in the train from the airport to Rome Termini (30min), plus transfer / wait time (20-30min), so count on about 2hrs by train to Naples.

I don't have a strong opinion on the shortest or prettiest way, but I'd think the ferry would give you a unique view you don't get from land.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 06:24 AM
ira

Hi LM,

>My husband however loves the idea of whipping around curvy roads..<

At 50 kph, with someone else driving?

I would train to Salerno and take the ferry. The view of the AC from the water is as pretty as the view of the water from the AC.

For Ferry schedules Positano – Amalfi - Salerno (P.zza della Concordia):
See http://tinyurl.com/3cbhkb

The PdC is about 3 blks from the train station in Salerno.

For current timetables between Capri/Amalfi Coast the most reliable link is:
http://www.capri.net/en/ship-timetable

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jul 9th, 2011, 10:20 AM

You can;t whip around the road on the AC at 50 mph - since you will be stuck behind a very long line of local buses, tours buses, trucks and who knows what else - assuming you are doing it in summer. In off season (we go in May) the traffic is much less (but you can be caught up if 2 buses or a truck and a bus meet at a narrow spot - since one line of vehicles has to back up) but there is still no way you can be doing 50. The road is way too narrow (you would have to occupy both lanes and there are a large number of blind driveways and corners with mirrors so you can see what is coming at you. Assume 30 mph at the most - and about 10 going through a town.

And the best views are of the towns and the coast road from the ferry.

The shortest, prettiest way would be to take a helicopter - but I know nothing about the logistics and I'm sure the cost would be substantial.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 10:33 AM

When you whip around a curve, you may meet an Italian who's passing on that curve. (Seen it many times.) It's surprising there aren't more accidents.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 10:48 AM
ira

nyt notes,

>You can;t whip around the road on the AC at 50 mph....

Darn right. Sometimes one can't get up to 50 kph.