Search

Portobello Road and Notting Hill

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portobello Road and Notting Hill

Hello

how to get from Swiss Cottage to Portobello and Notting Hill? What is a good time to visit this place on weekdays or weekends??? thank you
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 09:38 AM

You can find all you need on the Transport for London website (maps, oyster info for tickets etc) http://www.tfl.gov.uk

The big famous market is on Saturdays so if you want to see that you need to go then. I think the area will be quite quiet on Sundays.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 09:40 AM

And start early on the Saturday. It can get rammed by late morning.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 01:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
As Patrick says -- get there <u>early</u>. You'll want to arrive as early as you can manage and start thinking about heading elsewhere by 10:00 or 10:30.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 09:26 AM

Good luck getting there now - the Central and District lines' stop is closed now for pre-Olympics upgrades. We had to do a rather circuitous routing to get there yesterday. And it was bloody awful!!!! In 40 years of visting London I never got around to seeing Portobello Road. Finally decided to see what it was about. What a freakin' zoo. Wall to wall people, none speaking English or having a clue about how to get the hell out of others' way.

It was what I imagine Black Friday sales in Manhattan to be like. And the merchandise itself was overpriced and underwhelming. Maybe it would appeal to a serious antique buff or someone who enjoys being jostled and possibly pickpocketed. Never, ever, ever again. London has so much much more to recommend it.

PS - avoid Primark Oxford Street like the plague as well. Best advice of all, don't be the only guy traveling with 4 women.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 09:57 AM

Otzi: That is why we say get there EARLY. 7:00-ish is good. If I can't arrive before 8:30 or 9:00, it is just too late and I'll skip it.

Early in the AM is great -- by mid-morning it is a zoo.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 04:15 PM

Arrived too late on Saturday to really enjoy it. Took a bus down to the Notting Hill stop/tube station. But then had to walk over a few blocks from the main road in order to get to "Portobello Road." There is a handwritten sign on one of the buildings that directs people to walk "right and then take the second left." Easy to find on Saturday, as there are droves of people walking to and from that direction. You may want to wear comfortable shoes!
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 04:24 PM

Otzi

We will be staying in an apt in Notting Hill for 2 1/2 weeks starting Sept 8 this year. Is the Notting Hill Gate tube station closed now? If so, do you know if it will be open by early/mid Sept? We plan on primarily using the buses, but I imagine we'll need the tube a few times.

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 05:35 PM

Stu: Here is the site for scheduled closures.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/livetravelnews...r/default.aspx

The journey planner will show you any get arounds

Where in Notting Hill? Some owners do to 'stretch the truth about locations so you might be closer to a different station?
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 07:04 AM

Thanks, janisj

Here is the Apt
http://www.aplacelikehome.co.uk/l152...bqxckipxf.aspx

Click on "view location on Map" fo see the exact location

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 07:29 AM

Stu you could walkto Portobello from your apt!
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 08:29 AM

And if there are station closures you will be w/i a reasonable walk of Holland Park, Ladbroke Grove and even Bayswater and Queensway stations. You won't be marooned.
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 09:43 AM

We took a bus from South Kensington that dropped us right off at the start of the market. Previously we had taken the tube and while the walk was short is was still a walk. You might check Transport for London site to see if a bus might be even more convenient
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 09:45 AM

AND Nottinghill Carnival is the last week end in AUgust so be careful if that's when you are there..can be fun but also can be a bit dangerous
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 10:19 AM

But if you're not that interested in the market, the area of Westbourne Grove/Ledbury Road has some very nice shops and restaurants. Not busy, even on a Saturday.
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 11:01 AM

The antiques market (which is what most people want to see) is Saturday, and at the risk of sounding like an echo, it is well worthwhile, but only if you can get there early. Mid-morning onward is hellish, and from midday onward stalls are actually packing up.

Nb There are smaller markets on other days of the week that sell food and vintage clothing. I think the clothing market is Sunday (well it was a few years ago, because I used to have fairly regular trips up with work colleagues whenever we wanted anything quirky or for a fancy dress party).

As tulips has pointed out there are also some quite nice shops in the area, which often get overlooked in the recommendation threads - a couple of independant high-end jewellers (Fiona something, and the ingeniously named Wint and Kidd), Graham and Green (interiors), Miller Harris (perfumes) and loads of posh antique shops selling mirrored furniture, chandeliers etc. Nice cafes - and the Electric Cinema (art house films plus booze and snacks).