Fly into Newark, visit NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible to fly into Newark, get to Secaucus to our hotel, then visit NYC? How do you find a reliable taxi from the airport to the hotel, in Secaucus for under $50?
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 04:56 PM

Well, I'm not sure why you're staying in Secaucus if you want to visit NYC - dpednng on the traffic and means of transit it can esily take an hour ech way in travel.

If you want to save money on lodging you should stay in one of the hotels on top of a PATH station - so you can get in and out of the city quickly, efficiently and cheaply.

(But really staing in Manhattan is a much better option.)

I have no idea of the taxi fares in New Jersey and $50 does seem a little steep to Secaucus - although it would cost more than that to get nto Manhattan. Have you checked out the services listed on the EWR web site?
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 06:53 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Easy train ride from EWR to NYC, inexpensive. Forget Secaucus,stay in N Y. You will spend a lot going in and out of the city. Bad idea.
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 07:57 PM

All of your friends here are giving you great advice. Staying NJ is just not a fun idea when you are visiting the City. You will be spending alot of time in traffic AND travel from NJ to the City.

I know it looks close on the map and the hotels tell you there is a bus or easy transportation into Manhattan, but trust us, we live here and hate the commute from NJ into the city for shopping or travel down the NJ turnpike.

Also we are coming into the holiday season SOON and traffic goes from bad to halt and if there is an accident for example the halt can grow into pitch a tent.

There are so many hotels in the city in all price ranges so you won't have a problem finding something if you look around.

From Newark Liberty Airport, you can take a cab ($75 or more) the bus into Port Authority or Grand Central (around $15pp) or take the train from the airport (Amtrak or NJ Transit) for around $15pp. You can also arrange for a car service and it is about the same price as a taxi, but the advantage is the price is set and you won't have to worry about waiting in traffic.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 04:24 AM

If for some reason you need to stay in NJ, as nytraveler said, it's much better to stay somewhere (Jersey City, Hoboken, etc.) where you can take the PATH into NYC. Second best is a NJ Transit train line. Unless you are staying right on top of the new train station at Secaucus, you will be taking an NJ Transit bus into and out of the city - not a good option.

Further, IMO there's really nothing doing in Secaucus - neither a pretty city nor a place with many amenities. Perhaps you are staying there to go to the discount stores? Again, IMO better to stay elsewhere and make a day trip to do the shopping...

If you're not tied to staying in NJ, in addition to a plethora of choices in Manhattan, do look into hotels in downtown Brooklyn and western Queens. These areas are quick to get into the city proper for sightseeing, the MTA subway is a better option than public transit in NJ, and cabs are cheaper than going across the Hudson (where outbound you have to pay the driver's return toll regardless).
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 05:09 AM

Ah, now I just read your comment on this thread from 2008, where you recommended your stay in Secaucus (last post in the thread):
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...or-nyc-day.cfm

Thus, it's probably misleading to ask now if it's possible to "then visit NYC" as apparently that's the part you already know and like.

Accordingly, I take it you'd like to stay in the same place as you've done before. In that case, to avoid a taxi fee from the airport, if you're willing to take public transit, you would take the AirTrain and transfer to the NJ Transit train towards NYC. There is a stop for Secaucus on virtually every one of these trains. Note that NJ Transit has raised ticket prices; I believe our ticket this past spring from the AirTrain connection to NYC was $15/pp one way. I assume you'd then take a taxi from the Secaucus train station to your hotel...