Search

Washington state route info

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washington state route info

Hi all,

Was planning to drive 101 in early May from Olympia to Pt Townsend, Olympic Natl Park, down the coast ending in Portland about 10 days later. Two people and a guidebook say not to miss Whidby Island and its towns. Love scenery, small towns to explore and water, ocean, lighthouses and hanging out. Should I change plans and ferry from Mukilteo or drive hiway 20 from Burlington and explore the island, then ferry to Pt Townsend before contining with the rest of the original plan. Don't feel 10 days is enough to do both Whidby and the drive up the west side of Puget Sound and be able to spend time hanging out for a few days. What do you think? Which should I choose?

Any ideas appreciated.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 02:42 PM

I would just follow your original plan but take the Port Townsend ferry to Whidbey Island, You will arrive very close to one of the island's cuter towns, Coupeville. Admiralty Head lighthouse is right there as well. Langley, another cute town, is a short drive away. You can also drive up to Deception Pass and see Anacortes. Honestly, Whidbey is not that big, and if you get there on a morning ferry and leave the next day on an afternoon ferry, you should be able to see quite a bit. Oak Harbor, Whidbey's biggest town, is not all that attractive.

A full day is probably enough to see Port Townsend, too (and I live near there). Explore Water Street, drive around and look at some of the great Victorians, and take a look at Fort Worden and the Point Wilson lighthouse. There are good restaurants and some decent nightlife if you stay the night (check out the Upstage and Sirens).
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 03:19 PM

For my money the drive up 101 on the west side of Hood Canal is one of the most beautiful in the state.

In contrast, the drive on 101 between Sappho, WA, on the north and Raymond, WA, on the south is tedious except for a short stretch as 101 skirts the coast and passes through Kalaloch, WA.

The places on Whidbey Island that appeal to me are Deception Pass, Penn Cove and the towns of Coupeville and Langley. Unfortunately, the drive between the two towns is not among the most scenic in the state.

If you like small towns, Port Gamble and La Conner are also worth your time.

I think ten days is enough time to do all the sightseeing you mentioned.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 03:25 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
One thing to note is that in late April/early May there's a chance of the huge tulip fields in the Skagit Valley still being in bloom. The annual tulip festival is generally scheduled for April, but some years the flowers don't pay attention to the festival boosters, and show up late (or early, of course.) http://gardyloo.us/tulips404%20025s.jpg (Mt. Baker in background.)

If you're comfortable in leaving things a bit up in the air, that's what I'd do, and if the tulips are still around when you're in the area, run your itinerary through the Skagit Valley. For small cute towns (Mon. - Fri., packed on weekends) there are none cuter than La Conner, on the mainland a little south of SR 20 heading over to Anacortes/Whidbey, so a flower + La Conner route to the Whidbey - PT ferry would be very enjoyable.

All that said, ten days is a pretty long time for your itinerary, so if tulips weren't an issue and you had the time, and wanted to spend a day based in Port Townsend for a run over to Whidbey to see Langley or Coupeville, you could do so. Use one of the "hanging out" days. Otherwise, the drive along Hood Canal on the east side of the 101 loop is pretty nice.

Oh, there is a nice lighthouse in Mukilteo next to the ferry terminal, too. But also don't miss the opportunity to walk out Dungeness Spit (near Sequim on the Olympic Peninsula) to the lighthouse there. http://gardyloo.us/062406%20041b.jpg (note local eagle.)
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 05:44 PM

Hmm...I've lived in Seattle for over 20 years and have traveled all over the NW and I would not say Whidbey is a must-see by any stretch. I mean, it's nice if you have time but I wouldn't go out of your way to include it.

I'd prioritize spending time on the north to central Oregon coast and seeing the towns and lighthouses there before heading to Portland over Whidbey Island. Also be sure to include the Long Beach Peninsula and the lighthouses at the south end.
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 08:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree with Whidbey Island being a nice place to live or go for an overnight if you live in Seattle, but not a "must see" of PNW.