Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Phone Question - Can you put a European SIM in a US blackberry?

Old Sep 12th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not want to use the Blackberry for email or internet but just want to use as a phone. Can I buy a SIM (in Italy) with some prepaid minutes and use this as my cellphone (but not use the email or internet features)? Will I be charged for sending data if I just want to use the phone feature. This may be a very dumb question I realize.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 07:35 PM

I have lived in France and I bought a cheap french phone with SIM card, and put the SIM into my unlocked Blackberry, but I am not sure if you can just buy a SIM card. I also buy the French petite phone card minutes for E 25 and the Euro Card minutes. Hope this helps.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 10:24 PM

Of course you can buy a SIM in Italy. I just bought a TIM prepaid SIM last week. 5EU for a SIM with ~5EU of air time, and you can add as much air time on top of that you wish. I brought my unlocked quad band phone from the U.S., and it worked like a charm. I used to send SMS messages using the SIM as well.

The key is that your Blackberry must be UNLOCKED to accept SIM cards issued by carrier other than the ones you are currently using.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 10:59 AM

Thanks for clearing that up Greg. When I tried to buy a SIM card in France Orange wouldn't sell me one without buying a cheap phone, granted it was several years ago, but I needed a French # anyway, I just wanted to use my phone. I could use any of the services that I needed including the internet. I now just switch out cards when in Europe, and still buy recharge cards.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 07:35 PM

greg - When I last tried to buy an Italian SIM - this was a few years ago - I was told I had to produce a lot of ID and it would not be very possible once I got there. Are you saying its easy to buy these on the ground in Italy now without hassle?

Who sells them?

Ive used my corporate blackberry for my last two trips (Italy and India) and it worked like a dream connecting readily wherever i went but Id like my husband to have a phone too. Thus the question
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 07:47 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The Tim store in Termini sells them (2nd floor). You still will probably have to produce ID, but it's not a hassle - only takes a minute. They just have to record some info on your ID. There's another phone store (not TIM) on the lower level of Termini.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 10:51 PM

You can buy a SIM as soon as you get off the plane at FCO. Exit through the frosted, sliding doors into the B Arrivals Area (after getting your luggage) and head to the right - towards the train station. There you will find a SMARTPhone store that will sell you a SIM. Just use your passport as ID - and you'll have service probasbly in less than 2 hours. Some folks have said they get service as the rep calls it in. There are phone stores, representing all brands of service, all through Rome.

As suggested, your BB must be unlocked. I have a BB 8830 I have used in Rome for almost two years. I currently use TIM, but have also used Vodaphone and WIND cards in my phone. This post has a picture and directions to the SMARTPhone store in the FCO arrivals area: http://www.roninrome.com/2009/06/10/...o-meet-at-fco/