Cheapskate in Rome (Hotel)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking our first trip to Italy in a couple of weeks (kinda spur of the moment) and have figured out that for Rome, it is all about location. Knowing that, we booked Casa de Fiori for 150 Euro a night. Can I do better?

I guess what I am trying to find out if there is some hidden gem in a fantastic location that I may not have heard about. We do not need fancy at all and there are literally 5 million hotels in Rome and at this point I am completely confused. I just want a hotel that I can walk to everywhere from. We sleep through any noise. It seems like every budget hotel I look at charges about what we are paying and have crap reviews.
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 06:33 AM

Why not get an apt. for that price or less. So much more fun.
We stayed here
https://www.romesweethome.it/apartme...nt.asp?lang=it
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 06:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You can book convents in the historical center with private bath and midnight curfew for 50-75€. I think Fraterna Domus (near Piazza Navona is about 75€).
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 07:33 AM

Well I would be surprised if the convents were not all booked up now- they are a deal for (pricey) Rome. If you want to hunt some more go to www.venere.com - enter your dates and see what is available - or try the apartment route.
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 07:49 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
There are 200+ convents in Rome that rent rooms. I would be surprised if they were ever all booked. The ones you hear about that are popular are the ones with websites or e-mail contact, but there are dozens of others in just as good location that you must book by phone. The Rome tourist site lists 189 of them with 52 in the historic center. Some are as cheap as 15€ (Torre Argentina area) with others as much as 200€ (right in front of the Vatican). You can search on the tourist site by location, amenities (AC/TV, etc.). After you narrow your search on the website, click the name of the convent and you will get a list of amenities, prices, contact info and map of location. Click on the camera on the map and zoom in to get the street view. You must click applica to change your search criteria.
http://www.060608.it/en/content/list...glienza/id/152