Help with San Francisco/surrounding areas anniversary trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are considering San Francisco for our first anniversary trip this June. We'd like to spend three nights in SF and then take four days to explore nearby (within three hours or so). We'd like to see some vineyards, but other sites as well. We love quaint, charming towns with art galleries and boutiques, as well as great restaurants (we lived in New York for several years and became spoiled foodies!). I've heard Sonoma is less glitzy and more authentic than Napa, so that seems like it could be more our style. I'd appreciate any recommendations for nice towns/restaurants/hotel recs (less than 300/night)! Thank you!
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 08:23 AM

I have not been to Sonoma, so i cannot comment about it. But, my husband and I love Napa. It can, but does not have to be fancy. We spent time in Calistoga, St. Helena and then a night in Napa itself. The towns are quaint and charming. In Calistoga we stayed at Cottage Grove Inn, just as romantic as it could be. Each room is beautifully decorated, very quiet, just charming!!! The town itself has nice restaurants, galleries and whimsical shops. Also Calistoga is a hot spring. Here is the town's website, it has some interesting facts and events, etc. http://www.calistogavisitors.com/ Calistoga is on the edge of Napa and Sonoma, so you can decide which way to go. If you stay in Napa, we had a wonderful lunch at CIA St. Helena, an outstanding meal, and also had a cooking demo class. We flew into Oakland, rented car and stayed for one night in San Francisco, which we love!! have a great trip.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 08:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Napa is not more glitzy or less authentic than Sonoma, it just gets more press and more tourists.

The above post gives good suggestions. You could also head south to Carmel/Monterey and see great scenery and also take in wineries/vineyards, galleries and charming towns.

MY
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 08:48 AM

Consider Healdsburg as a destination point. Check out Wineroad.com for an idea of tasting possiblities.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 08:59 AM

If you land at SFO (or San Jose) on a weekend or mid morning on a work day, I would head south & spend the first 2 nights in Carmel & explore that area. Then return to San Francisco, leaving anytime on a weekend, but early morning on a work day. Then spend your 3 nights in the City. Leave SF to Healdsburg (or take the more scenic route that is in the first link I'll post below (North of San Francisco) to Healdsburg in Sonoma Co. Stay there 2 nights. Return to SFO for the flight home (anytime but early morning on work days is fine).

That may be too much driving. If so, I would spend 4 nights in San Francisco, and 3 nights in Healdsburg, and definately take the drive in the link I'll post here.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35129049

June can get some nasty fog along the coast.

If you head south to the Carmel area, don't miss this:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...alif-coast.cfm

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 09:06 AM

"We love quaint, charming towns with art galleries and boutiques"

It would be worth your while to head out to Carmel. It was a wonderful little town, with a ton of little shops/galleries/restaurants. A very nice beach too.
Have you found a hotel yet? My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Vitale and loved every minute of it. Its a bit pricey, but its upscale and very romantic. Well worth the price. The rooms are beautiful, the staff was great and they have a rooftop patio that overlooks the Ferry Building and Bay Bridge. We spent every evening up there -it was under utilized by most other guests, so we had the space to ourselves most times.
The location is also great (in my opinion). Its away from the crowds of Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square, but easily accessible to all sights. And the aforementioned Ferry Building was a great find. Tons of great little shops and restaurants and they have a huge farmer's market every Saturday.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 09:09 AM

Have you found a hotel yet? My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Vitale and loved every minute of it.

In case this isn't clear, the Hotel Vitale is in San Francisco, not Carmel.
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 08:16 AM

KMB1116,

From Anguilla to San Francisco...that's a good year!

I would recommend Healdsburg for your wine country visit. Our favorite place to stay is Hotel Healdsburg. There are a number of restaurants around the plaza, including the Dry Creek Kitchen (at the hotel), Zin and, for a splurge (it is your 1 year anniversary), Cyrus.

Having grown up in Monterey, maybe I'm a bit jaded regarding Carmel. It's crowded during the summer. But, they do have art galleries and good restaurants. Carmel Valley is warmer and the Bernardus Lodge is a great place to stay.

Hope this helps. Bundle up, that time of year is foggy here...just a bit cooler than the Caribbean!

DavefromCA