Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Summer -- Aspen, Telluride, or Beaver Creek?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling with kids this summer and trying to choose the best mountain destination in Colorado. We'll be traveling around the state. Wondering which of these three "ski" resorts people recommend for summer fun? Thanks.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 06:55 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd do Telluride so you can take them to Mesa Verde National Park and the narrow gauge railroad between Durango and Silverton.

But, any of the three would be great in the summer.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 07:11 PM

I would kind of agree with Starrs but suggest that you stay in Durango [it also has a ski resort] and see the sites with Durango as a base. It is more family friendly, less expensive and has more to do with kids.

Telluride is very small, very expensive and in and of itself, hasn't got too much to do in summer. There are festivals every weekend [except one] which brings in crowds and high prices for lodging and restaurants.

I have lots of threads on here regarding Durango, activities, hotels, restaurants etc. I am headed out of town for a couple of weeks, but you can find a lot of my suggestions as a local.

Mesa Verde NP is a must.

Deb
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 07:18 PM

Telluride, for the beauty. Ask DebitNM about the rest. I only know Telluride is bea-u-ti-ful.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 07:52 PM

If you going to that end of the state and seeing MVerde I would strongly recommend you spend at least one night in the park. It is a long slow drive to get into the park and it is terrific in the evening when all the tourist have left.

If staying in the center of the state, I would recommend Breckenridge just for the variety of activity and diversity. Beaver Creek is pretty dead in the summer with min activities in the summer. Vail would be a much better choice for that area.

Aspen is so/so in the summer. The music festival occupies a lot of time and kids activities are limited. As I said earlier Breckenridge (Summit Cty) would have a greater variety of activities from bicycling to boating.