Search

self drive sabi sands

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
self drive sabi sands

After spending time in Cape town and Victoria falls we go to Mpumalanga/limpopo. We will have a hire car in Mpumalanga and will self drive to Ngala tented, exeter leadwood and Tangala. How are the roads,will a sedan car be OK?
We will be in Graskop for our first night then to Tangala, from Tangala to Ngala tented, from there to Balule game reserve ( leopards view) and then to Exeter leadwood and finally to Jatinga lodge in white river.
Could I ask how long it will take approx to drive from one place to the other. From Graskop we hope to travel the R534 and 532 , 531 if this is feasable to get to Thornybush.
Thank you
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 06:33 PM

Last year we drove a Toyota Tazz from Jo'Burg to Ngala Tented Camp and Exeter River (as well as Londolozi, and Kirkman's) and had no problems with the roads. The roads near the lodges are the worse and they weren't that bad. Can't tell you travel times as we didn't do the same segments you are doing.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 07:15 PM

You probably will be driving thru the common access roads linking the various properties ...... should be ok. I have seen many people driving from JNB to SSGR in a sedan.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 10:28 PM

kimac - I drove in that region last month and it was absolutely fine. The tarred roads are very good and the dirt roads are reasonable too. However I cant be sure what impact if any the rains have on them.

If possible get yourself a car thats atleast 3 levels up from bottom. Distances are long and it helps to have a slightly bigger car with a big engine.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 02:55 PM

Our Tazz was bottom of the line and we had no problems. Had more than enough acceleration with its engine. Some of our SA friends mentioned it was a good choice for dirt roads as it had better ground clearance and angle of attack than many higher end cars. I suppose more room might be a plus for some but for the two of us it wasn't necessary and at under $100/week was a real bargin.