Search

Europe vs. USA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe vs. USA

What restaurants do you patronize in the USA? What do you wear to them? Have you ever been to a local (USA) museum? Why do you visit them in Europe? Does anyone in the USA wear, 'white trainers' after Labor Day?
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 11:49 AM

First, I DO NOT wear white trainers any time of the year!!

I've found that if you aren't interested in US museums, you probably won't visit them in Europe either. However, many European museums do have famous works of art that can't be found in US museums (ie, Mona Lisa, Winged Victory, Holbein, etc.).

In the US, we like ethnic restaurants, steakhouses and, since I live in Texas, Mexican food and barbeque. At nicer steakhouses or upscale restaurants we dress more formally, but usually wear casual wear to our local eateries.

Why do you ask?
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 12:22 PM

If a girl's training bra doesn't show, I'm not sure what difference it makes what color it is -- nor what season of the year.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 01:29 PM
ira

Hi G,

Very interesting questions.

We do not wear white shoes after Labor Day, except for people in Florida.

Here in the US, we generally eat at fast food places - the faster the better. For a night out, we go anywhere that has very large servings (preferably all you can eat) of high cholesterol, high fat, high sugar, high salt. high starch foods. If its loaded with transfats, that's good.

We usually wear work clothes. For a special night out, we put on a clean tee shirt.

Our favorite beverages are cheap beer and highly sugared iced tea or carbonated beverages.

What's a museum?

Old Sep 8th, 2007, 01:38 PM

Ira:

LOL (if it weren't so "right on"...)

stu T
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 01:42 PM

Patrick You are Funny..
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 02:02 PM

Darn! I thought this post was going to offer me the chance to share this reply:

http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.p...9a680/66490086

(I guess it did)
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 02:07 PM

ira

I swear I've seen you and a group of your buddies in every restaurant in East Texas.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Pinchme_iam_dreaming

I live in Texas too. I don't know if ira lives in America or if he/she is an American? with his/her statement?

"Here in the US, we generally eat at fast food places - the faster the better. For a night out, we go anywhere that has very large servings (preferably all you can eat) of high cholesterol, high fat, high sugar, high salt. high starch foods. If its loaded with transfats, that's good.

We usually wear work clothes. For a special night out, we put on a clean tee shirt.
Our favorite beverages are cheap beer and highly sugared iced tea or carbonated beverages"! Either you are kidding or just un-informed? or just like to eat cheap food?

Old Sep 8th, 2007, 02:50 PM

What am I missing here??? Ira wss being funny---made me laugh!
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 03:06 PM

I'm quite familiar with Ira's posts and have always found them very informative.

I, on the other hand, was just kidding (sort of).
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 05:42 PM

Hi Bettyk:
I suspect that GSteed is posing those questions because they are a representative sample of questions that US posters regularly ask about Europe. I'm sure he/she is making the point that such questions are just as dopey in the US context as they are in the European.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 05:50 PM

Ira is spoofing (mostly).
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 06:21 PM

I live outside Washington, DC, and often go into DC to see exhibits at museums, attend concerts, etc. I love museums, and we have dozens here that have fabulous exhibits. We also have a couple of bookstores/coffeehouses that have fabulous author talks and book signings and I love to go to those. And we have free jazz concerts at the Smithsonian and all kids of neat stuff. I do lots of that, mostly on weekends.

Restaurants - we've got great ones here in northern VA, as we have a plethora of different ethnic populations, my favorite being Indian, Ethiopian, Afghani, Moroccan, Thai, Mexican, and Cambodian.

I do not own a pair or white trainers.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 08:09 AM
ira

Ira is a writer and commentator on the American scene, currently based in Madison, GA/USA - voted best small town in America by some magazine no one has ever heard of.

All that and a house in the Perigord, too. St. Cirq has the best of all possible worlds.

Old Sep 9th, 2007, 09:59 AM

Lol....Now I realize how naive so many of us are in regard to travel outside of the US,including myself. I'm not an experienced world travelor but sure have gained tremendous insight from many of these postings!! I am a newbee to the site and have much to learn including how to post a question that will be worthy of a response.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 10:04 AM

Greenhouse --- Great link! HAHAHA, sad but true ...
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 01:52 PM

to greenhouse...I fowarded your link to a friend and she wrote back.."I want to move to Europe." Thanks for your humour.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 02:52 PM

White trainers are very popular here in the US, as a matter of fact,any good Sport store has a large display of them and they sell like Hot cake ..

Honestly I dont know why there is so much fanfare and ridicule by Fodor's Fashion police , when a person dare to wear white sneakers in Europe.
Someone Please englight me..
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 03:19 PM

kismetchimera wrote: "Honestly I dont know why there is so much fanfare and ridicule by Fodor's Fashion police , when a person dare to wear white sneakers in Europe."

So young, so much to learn...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -