Travelling on a Holiday a question for everyone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help me understand something I have seen many times.

Over and over I see people who travel on a holiday, which I completely understand. What I'd like to know is why do some travelers wish to replicate their at home holiday traditions while they are traveling. What I mean is, if you are traveling on say Thanksgiving why do you seek out a restaurant that serves Thanksgiving dinner or grocery stores that sell turkeys? This also goes for the Easter brunch.

I see this mostly with those going to HI. With so much great food available there that is not completely available at home why would you not delay the turkey dinner/Easter brunch until you get home?

Please do not read this as a criticism at all as I'm am typing this with a real interest knowing the answer. It could be that you have found that you enjoy tasting the variations of a holiday meal in a new location but it would be great to hear your answer. Any one care to enlighten me?
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Suzie- Well I can't help because I agree with your thoughts. I have been in Mexico over Thanksgiving and did not go looking for turkey. Although by chance one year my little hotel restaurants served a fantastic fixed-price meal of "Mexican style" turkey that was excellent (corn meal stuffing, etc.).
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:04 AM

I'll be in Key West over Thanksgiving. Last time I was in Key West over Thanksgiving, we enjoyed a huge plate of stone crab for dinner. I would expect a similar dinner this time around. When we lived in Louisville, we always went to Churchill Downs for Thanksgiving. In our case, we've always kind of tried to create our own traditions, rather than conforming to the status quo.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:17 AM

this seems like a weird question - no offense.
What is wrong with replicating a "at home holiday tradition" while travelling? It is a tradition after all, whether you are home or not.

A few years ago my family rented a flat for a week in London during the week of Christmas. We bought our tree on Portobello Road and decorated it with popcorn, because we had no ornaments. We also made our traditional Christmas feast of Turkey and all the trimmings. It was fun trying to cook such a familiar meal in an unfamiliar place.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A lot of people travel over the holidays because it's the only time of year they can. That doesn't mean they also want to forego their holiday traditions. For a huge number of people, what they eat on a holiday is an extremely important part of the day. The only time I laugh is when people visiting other countries over Thanksgiving are surprised that they can't find restaurants all serving turkey dinners.

steviegene, turkey is a big thing in the UK for Christmas dinner.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:38 AM

It's probably more religious requirements and/or habits then "at home tradition".
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
There are only two holidays that would be hard for me to forgo some traditions on vacation, and that would be Christmas and Thanksgiving. I say that because we are generally with family or friends and have had life long traditions.
Outside of Easter break and summer, we are tied up by school breaks to vacation.
I would look for turkey on Thanksgiving. Christmas.... I am flexible on food. I am usually home on these holidays. Easter, we are often gone and no longer bring easter candy with us. The girls are older and a new cd for the trip or a few extra dollars to spend in the gift shop is more appreciated by them.
I guess there is just something about Thanksgiving and Christmas that would have me looking to do something traditional for our family.

Maybe we would try and stay up for a midnight mass in a foreign city for Christmas. There is always room to start new traditions!!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:49 AM

We will be in HNL New Years Eve, jet lagged for sure! What should We eat?
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Everyone should eat what they want.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:53 AM

We traveled one Thanksgiving so we could spend if with our son who was stationed at a military base in NC. It was fun to rent a beach house. Fun to arrive early in the week and feed some of his friends before they went home. One friend spent Thanksgiving with us. I replicated Thanksgiving at home, dragging a buttercup squash in my suitcase because I was told our favorite squash was not available in that area and carried an apple pie from Gram in a pie basket as my carry on.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 11:12 AM

Well yea, of course. I'm thinking champagne and strawberries.
But in reality we'll be so tired, I doubt if we'll be able to keep the eyes open.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Oh I see boovt, just letting a bit of info out at a time. How jetlagged? What is the time difference, how long travelling that day and what time is your arrival at HNL?
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 11:40 AM

I think it's about 7 hours time diff.
It'll be about 2a.m. for us!
We start out at 8a.m., aalllll day.
But I know it will be worth it when we finally get there.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

So about 7:00 pm HNL time and still have to make your way to the hotel and check in. Whew, that will be late after a long day. I’d order room service and eat on the lanai, maybe?
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:00 PM

Yup, thats if we can actually find a place. I'm still trying to figure that out.
I'm guessing a place very close to the airport with a shuttle, as we are heading out the very next day for another one of your beautiful Islands.
Also still working on that.
Off the subject but... I think after everything I've read it'll be Kauai for the lushness, the rainbows, the chickens, and to be get married. Yep, after 9 years together he wants to take the plunge.
Problem is( if you can call it a problem) a friend offered a place in oahu for a very reasonable $, but not available for 3 days after we get there.
Do we go over to Kauai for 3 days and back to Oahu? Or stay in kauai for the week? Such a problem right?!!! Where to get married, where oh where?
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

How exciting! You need to post this as a question for all the Kauai experts to help you with. You'll get some great response and have the vacation of your dreams. Congrats.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:13 PM

this year i was in Greece during July 4th and it was great. didn't see one flag or firework. didn't hear "Born in the USA" on the radio (btw, stupid american radio hasn't figured out that it is an anti-vietnam song, not a flag-waving american pride song).

of course 4th of July is among my least favorite holidays, so being out of the country and hearing no mention of it suited me fine!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:14 PM

i guess if i'm ever travelling on Christams Day i'll be sure to recreate my home tradition and look for a Chinese restaurant for dinner!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:19 PM

Thanks.
I sort of have. At least where to stay in Kauai. I have been consumed by it actually.
I would like to get Bill, Auntie M, Kal, Sistahlou and Makai1 (and anyone else I've missed) together and tell me where they would stay and where they would get hitched in January.
I know it all depends on what I want, but not having been there to HI at all I want it all!
Thanks for listening
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 01:06 PM

Gee, tlf18, our barbershop chorus sings Proud to be an American at most performances. This is the first time I have seen it characterized as having anything to do with the Viet Nam war (and we have a goodly number of veterans in our chorus).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -