Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Most Beautiful Town in Austrian Alps? Kufstein??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was at a local Oktoberfest celebration this weekend and there was an Austrian oompah band there and they made the claim that "Kufstein was the most beautiful city in the Austrian Alps".
Well i only know Kufstein as a border train station that shows up in many timetables and have no doubt been through it many times but never stopped off.
Q - is this claim anywhere valid or just local braggadoccio (sp?) - is it worth getting off the train here for a better look?
Thanks.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 09:15 AM

ttt
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 09:20 AM

Interesting. I've never been to Kufstein, but Austria is filled with beautiful towns so I think it would be hard to pick "the most beautiful"!

Tracy
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 09:22 AM

You mean the well known song about "Kufstein im schönen Tirol?". The fortress is worth looking at. It's nice, but frankly a shorter stop is enough.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:18 AM

My nomination is Heiligenblut.

It is just south of the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse south terminus.

I am sure there are quite a few others that make the list.

Obergurgl could be nominated as well.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Heiligenblut a beautiful town? Obergurgl? Yikes, Bob Brown, I rarely do, but this time I have to disagree!

Obergurgl is not much more than a number of *way* too large hotels in a beautiful landscape. Heiligenblut is not much better. It has at least a nice church.

Kufstein is not bad, definitely worth a short stop. My nomination for 'most beautiful' town in Austrian Alps would be Hall in Tirol, though. There are for sure some other further east, but I haven't been there yet.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 11:06 AM

I am a big fan of Kufstein, but I don't think it's as beautiful as Hallstatt. Or Hall in Tirol. That said, it is certainly worth spending a few hours there. See the castle, walk around town, and have lunch or dinner at the incredibly atmospheric Auracher Lochl.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 11:32 AM

roberto - you've made me add Kufstein to my laundry list of towns i've yet to see and want to!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 12:39 PM

Kufstein is nice; I stopped in this past winter in between skiing at Kitzbuhel. It's worth a stop for a couple hours.

However, in my biased opinion, Hallstatt is undoubtedly the most beautiful village in Austria. No question. Just returned from a great weekend there. Happy travels.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 02:09 PM

I don't have Heilegenblut mixed up with another place, but Obergurgle, or which ever Gurgle it was, struck me as being scenic.

Heiligenblut is rather small, and the town part is of mild interest. I felt it was in a nice setting. The buildings of the town are relatively unimpressive for the most part.

But despite any comments to the contrary, Heligenblut for me remains a picturesque village setting. If I went back, I might change my mind.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it is me in this case who is doing the beholding.

As for views of mountains, #1 on my list is now the view from the Klein Matterhorn, which has nothing to do with Austria.